Overclocking my Athlon X4 620

Dbivian

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hello,

I am going to try and overclock my CPU for the first time. I built the CPU but have no experience Overclocking. I have read a bunch of forums, but haven't come across my exact specs yet.

Here they are:
Athlon X4 620 @2.6Ghz
GIGABYTE MOBO GA-MA785G-UD3H
4 GB G.SKILL RAM DDR2 1066
DIAMOND HD 4870 1GB DDR5
ROCKETFISH 550W PSU

I just purchased the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm CPU fan to help with the temps that come with overclocking.

Can anyone suggest the proper settings to get a decent overclock? I am thinking 3.2Ghz would be nice.

Thanks

Solution
You can't just take other peoples settings you need to raise things slowly to see what your system can do. In short drop your RAM multiplier 1 notch then increase the CPU frequency then run Prime 95. Repeat until you get an error or crash then increase the voltage 1 notch and keep repeating until you can get no more or the temps are to high. You could do this backwards and set the voltage straight to 1.5 then lower it at the end.
You can't just take other peoples settings you need to raise things slowly to see what your system can do. In short drop your RAM multiplier 1 notch then increase the CPU frequency then run Prime 95. Repeat until you get an error or crash then increase the voltage 1 notch and keep repeating until you can get no more or the temps are to high. You could do this backwards and set the voltage straight to 1.5 then lower it at the end.

Solution

Dbivian

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I am going to try and overclock my CPU for the first time. I built the CPU but have no experience Overclocking.

You built the cpu?? Wow, that's amazing, do you own your own fab?

I obviously meant Computer SMART ASS. Thanks for the help.

I got it OC'd to 3.3 by the way. Thanks for the input Simon.