Sign in with
Your question

Should I wait for RD890?

Last response: in Components
May 12, 2009 9:36:04 PM

Hello! I'm ready to go for a Phenom II 955 but want to wait for AMD's new chipset, the RD890. I see various sites stating different release time frames for RD890. Some say late Q2 2009, some saw late Q4 2009 and some even say Q1 2010.

Questions:
1) Anyone know for sure when RD890 might be released?
2) Should I wait for RD890 or just go with a 790X or 790FX?

Thanks in advance!!

More about : wait rd890

May 17, 2009 9:12:37 AM

The new RD890 won't be out until 4th quarter of 2009. It has been pushed back. However, it will be out in time for Christmas.

Unless you really like to tweek your computer, the 790FX or 790GX North Bridge and the SB750 South Bridge probably would be all you would need. Further more, the really big changes that will come will only be support for SATA 3 (6.0 Gb/s), Gigabit MAC and maybe support for PCI Express 2.0 (both running at 16x). I'm hoping that the new chipset brings support for Direct X 11 and PCI Express 3.0 (8.5 Gbp/s). I'm unsure about that though.

I waited until August 6th, 2008 to build my computer because I wanted that SB750 South Bridge that came with the 790GX chipset. I bought the GIGABYTE GA-MA 790GP-DS4 H MoBo. Later, it showed up on the 790FX chipset, but it is what is needed to overclock the Phenom I and II's. If anyone tells you don't need the SB750 than they don't know anything about AMD chipsets. You MUST have the SB750 South Bridge to truly overclock them! However, you probably already knew that.

I'm waiting until the end of this year or early 2010 for my next build. I want the AMD Magny-Cours 6000 series 12-core (Dodeca-core) CPU, the RD890 chipset and the 5870 X2 GPU. That will be my next build. However, right now I have the AMD Phenom II 940, two DIAMOND 3870s in CrossFire X and the 790GX/SB750 chipset, so I can wait.

I guess my answer to you would be go with the 790FX/SB750 now unless you are happy with your current build and can afford to wait.
May 17, 2009 10:52:17 AM

^ except the magny-cours setup is multiple cpu's.

anywhere from 2-8 6 core cpu's in the F+ socket.
Related resources
May 17, 2009 7:01:48 PM

That's right, the magny-cours (Sao Paolo) 8-core and 12-core CPU won't fit the AM3 socket, it's a 1,974 pin G34 Socket. However, I'm betting that the RD890/SB850 chipset will show up sometime in 2010 with a G34 Socket for the Magny-Cours CPUs.
May 17, 2009 7:28:51 PM

bigbrave said:
Later, it showed up on the 790FX chipset, but it is what is needed to overclock the Phenom I and II's. If anyone tells you don't need the SB750 than they don't know anything about AMD chipsets. You MUST have the SB750 South Bridge to truly overclock them! However, you probably already knew that.

I really hate when people say that the SB750 is needed. I have an MSI K9A2 Platinum, and have consistently overclocked higher than most people. Here's a quick rundown.
AMD 5000+ BE @ 3.4ghz
AMD 5400+ BE (after i bent pins on the first) @ 3.5ghz
AMD 720 BE @ 3.95ghz.

All on the 790FX + SB600 platform. The SB750 adds SATA, USB, and some more support, but I fail to see how it helps in overclocking like you say. I've had nothing BUT AMD chipsets since 2000, and I'm VERY familiar with them. Now if I can get higher overclocks on my SB600 AM2+ board than people get on their SB750 AM2+ and AM3 boards, then your statement is obviously false.
May 19, 2009 7:13:20 AM

Ycarcomed said:
I really hate when people say that the SB750 is needed. I have an MSI K9A2 Platinum, and have consistently overclocked higher than most people. Here's a quick rundown.
AMD 5000+ BE @ 3.4ghz
AMD 5400+ BE (after i bent pins on the first) @ 3.5ghz
AMD 720 BE @ 3.95ghz.

All on the 790FX + SB600 platform. The SB750 adds SATA, USB, and some more support, but I fail to see how it helps in overclocking like you say. I've had nothing BUT AMD chipsets since 2000, and I'm VERY familiar with them. Now if I can get higher overclocks on my SB600 AM2+ board than people get on their SB750 AM2+ and AM3 boards, then your statement is obviously false.

You may really hate hearing me talk about the SB750, but it's the truth. I'm glad to hear you defend your SB600 South Bridge, but the FACT is you don't know that much about the SB750. It adds a whole lot more than just some SATA and USB ports. The fact is that the SB600 didn't come with Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC) like you get with the SB750. This new tweaking unlocks the 6 tumblers (pins) that were previously not used by the SB600 to facilitate new overclocking heights. Further more, it was designed to work best with the Black Edition CPUs.

Glad to hear you are happy with you overclocking capabilities, and your MSI K9A2 is a really good board. However, I choose to wait until Aug. 6th of last year just so I could get the SB750 (GIGABYTE) and I think it was worth the wait.

However, my statements here are very much FACT and I promise you I can overclock any Black Edition CPU on a SB750 more than the older SB600! I only thing I'm not sure of is why you think you are getting better overclocking on the 600 over the 750? If you know someone with the 750 and they can't overclock very well, than it's probably them and not the chipset.
May 19, 2009 10:34:14 AM

SB 750 does not effect Phenom II processors as ACC is built into the new processors.
May 19, 2009 6:08:32 PM

Yes, the ACC seems to have been burned into the Phenom II's die and is always turned on, however, only the SB750 has the six tumblers unlocked which allows it to run data at a highter bandwidth.
June 26, 2009 6:39:12 PM

Excellent, relevant question by the OP. It's amazing how when people mention the 790FX vs 790X chipset, that nobody really hears it. It is not easy differentiating these two - they are remarkably similar - but there are some subtle features on the FX tht most of us really don't need, but some do - pretty picky stuff and some convenience items - but the X seems to have Dolby Home Theatre, and not the FX - which seems odd to me. (SO perhaps DHT is a diversion from hardcore performance?? I dunno).

This discussion about SB750 - not much difference to SB600 - the oclox are in bios w 600 - and the ACC stuff? = ACC is not "turned on" - it's a bios setting =on/off. BUT , the stuff that AMD learned from the use of ACC has been built in, or baked in, or whatever, into the newer AM3 Phenom II - i.e. they are better than the originals - this is a non-issue now - but ACC exists as a bios setting, and feeds info to AOD if you oclox in windoze - and then there's the amazing "unlock" phenomenon mystery. But some recommend bios oclox anyway - so that's the similar to sb600. (it's a fine line).

But back to the OP = see this link and form your own conclusions. There's a chart of features of the new 800-series chipsets.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/amd-rd890-rs880d-sb850-and-s...

Notable is the diff in c'sets between 790FX and 790X (IF ! you already know what the X is about !) - i.e. I am planning an X system, and there's no reason to wait for 800-series anymore. UNLESS, they just aren't saying that there will be signif perf boost - that was my reason for waiting - and I don't see that coming now for the X system I plan (different features reinforced by new c'set) - there's some new "peripheral features" - but it still won't appear until Q4.

And then the Leo PLATFORM set, appears in 2010. That will be 5870 et al etc. Not relevant for this discussion.

Welcome to the impatience of the addictive, bleeding edge, of tek. It drives me crazy too.

Thanx for a good thread. (found this in a googly search)

I guess this is just an update re new info.

(note - the AMD site reads identical for 790 FX or X csets. And that is true. The real answers needed are in the MOBO SPECS on the Gigabyte site - load up both mobo spec lists side by side and compare - then you know - the diffs are pretty subtle. If you are a tweaker, the X cset is a good buy. If you really need double barreled 16X grafx - you need the FX. The X offers x8x8, or one 16x.

I hope all this is helpful - it will require you to confirm for yourself thru research - I did a lot of digging to get this far. The Giga website FX & X MOBO SPECS is the best clarification for your personal needs or wants.

!