Sign in with
Your question

Using a TV as a monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2009 1:49:45 PM

Not exactly sure where to put this thread but still.
I bought a Samsung syncmaster 2225MW for use with my Xbox 360 (which is at my mums house) and I was thinking about using it with my PC rig (at my dads house) however when I go to uni I will be taking both with me, My question is, what's the quality going to be like using a TV as a monitor. I ask because I've seen loads of Gaming Monitors as if they're specifically designed for use with computers and gaming. If I use my TV as a monitor is it going to have any detrimental qualities? I don't think it's on the market anymore so you probably won't be able to get any info on it so here are the specs that I've got from when I bought it

Samsung SyncMaster SM225MW TFT/TV 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 300cd/m2 700:1 5ms HDMI/DVI-D/VGA Speakers Black 3 Years Onsite Warranty

I've hooked it up to my laptop (low end) a few times to watch downloaded HD movies and it was really good quality but I'll be using it for gaming mostly. If nothing on the TV itself just general info on TVs as monitors would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

More about : monitor

March 9, 2009 5:49:21 PM

Rain1406 said:
Not exactly sure where to put this thread but still.
I bought a Samsung syncmaster 2225MW for use with my Xbox 360 (which is at my mums house) and I was thinking about using it with my PC rig (at my dads house) however when I go to uni I will be taking both with me, My question is, what's the quality going to be like using a TV as a monitor. I ask because I've seen loads of Gaming Monitors as if they're specifically designed for use with computers and gaming. If I use my TV as a monitor is it going to have any detrimental qualities? I don't think it's on the market anymore so you probably won't be able to get any info on it so here are the specs that I've got from when I bought it

Samsung SyncMaster SM225MW TFT/TV 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 300cd/m2 700:1 5ms HDMI/DVI-D/VGA Speakers Black 3 Years Onsite Warranty

I've hooked it up to my laptop (low end) a few times to watch downloaded HD movies and it was really good quality but I'll be using it for gaming mostly. If nothing on the TV itself just general info on TVs as monitors would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

you'll be fine. just stay at 60hz refresh rate and dont leave it on the same image for weeks at a time.
March 9, 2009 5:49:27 PM

Using older-type TV's works poorly for a monitor. However, that's not what you have, it seems. With 1680 x 1050 pixel structure this machine is a typical wide-screen computer monitor, not a TV. It has HDMI input for use with High Def TV systems, but it also has DVI-D input (the current "normal" digital monitor input for computers) plus VGA for analog input from a computer. That pretty much covers the field. I note it you do NOT say it has a TV tuner, so I'm not sure how you plan to watch TV on it. As a gaming machine, my guess it will be OK with that 5ms refresh time - that's pretty fast.
March 9, 2009 9:23:28 PM

yeah it's got a TV tuner in it, not digital so I'd have to buy a digibox if I wanted to watch it from march 16th, but I suppose if analogue is off and I don't have a digibox they may not be able to get me for not paying a TV license. Thanks for the info
Related resources
!