DVD fails to be recognized in windows 7 or BIOS

dtm808

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Hello, i have been trying for over a year to get ANY dvd drive to get working on this computer i have tried to change IDE cables, dvd drives but nothing seems to work. I just want to install windows 7 back on this computer but nothing works. Could this be a motherboard problem?

dtm808

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
uh well i had a cable with 2 connector things on it so i tried the first one and i finally got the bios to see it as the master slave. the other one didn't detect at all. how do i set my drive to master

edit: so i got it to be recognized in windows (still in master slave i guess) but it still will not work booting cd's and it wont read anything or write anything it gives me this:
drivemessdup.png

or this:

error.png

if i go to the device manager this is what it shows:
devicemanager.png

what is going on ....

dtm808

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
i have tried 4 different dvd drives all of which worked on the original computer they were on but when i plug it in mine i get the same errors every single time

dtm808

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
tried all kinds of discs. games, music , programs, OS cd's nothing works

edit: oh and by the way before someone asks yes this problem still occurred before i got magicdisc so that cant be the problem

dtm808

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

did you said and still my dvd drive wont work. the fixit scan said that my dvd drive cannot burn cd's or dvds which does not make any sense since the cd drive i have in right now can do everything.

dtm808

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
ok restarted computer and it installed as the same garbled up name as the picture above. go to the computer and it still says cd drive (F:) and says the same 2 errors as above

is there somthing that could be wrong with like the motherboard because the bios still wont read the drive or let me choose to boot from it.

dtm808

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
umm of what my dvd drive? i do not think its that because this happend with any drive i put in and they all worked on other computers... but i will anyway

edit: well i cant find anything and my system info says the manufacture is (Standard cd rom drives) but i know that the one i have in right now is some kind of Atapi ide dvd drive.

dtm808

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
i am pretty sure the issue is not software related and as i said before this happend like a year ago and i actually still was able to install windows 7 and windows xp but even after fresh installs dvd drives never work on my computer now. i am pretty sure its hardware related.