Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • TV
  • Video
  • Components
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2009 4:23:02 PM

Trying to set up a HTPC and am having trouble getting the video part to work. I've got a EVGA GeForce 9400 video card and it comes with an HDTV out port that consists of a cable that you plug into what looks like an s-video plug with component (red/blue/green) wires. My TV is a Mitsubishi 720p/1080i but does not have DVI input. It is the older monstrously huge black box that will accept component and S-video. I have plugged the component (R/B/G) wires from the back of the video card into my TV.

When I load the video drivers for the video card (downloaded latest from EVGA) the screen gets whacked out once it goes to the windows logo on boot-up and the TV drops the signal. I see all the bios post and all the normal stuff (including the scrolling green caterpillar) right up to where you should see the round four colored circle with windows logo (Vista 32bit OS). It is as if the resolution is too high and the TV can't handle it once it goes to the logo. Looks great in safe mode and if I disable the video driver. When I do however it does not have the proper drivers for video so I cannot do live TV, DVDs are choppy, max resolution is 800x600, and misc other inconveniences.

Shouldn't I be able to to 1024x768? I've loaded the drivers and set the resolution to 800x600, lowered the color depth and everything else that I can think of and it still tweaks at the windows logo. The only way I can see on my TV is to do safe mode or disable the video driver and presumably use the stock VGA driver.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide...

More about : geforce 9400 720p component cables

March 9, 2009 6:02:53 PM

HackNwhack said:
Trying to set up a HTPC and am having trouble getting the video part to work. I've got a EVGA GeForce 9400 video card and it comes with an HDTV out port that consists of a cable that you plug into what looks like an s-video plug with component (red/blue/green) wires. My TV is a Mitsubishi 720p/1080i but does not have DVI input. It is the older monstrously huge black box that will accept component and S-video. I have plugged the component (R/B/G) wires from the back of the video card into my TV.

When I load the video drivers for the video card (downloaded latest from EVGA) the screen gets whacked out once it goes to the windows logo on boot-up and the TV drops the signal. I see all the bios post and all the normal stuff (including the scrolling green caterpillar) right up to where you should see the round four colored circle with windows logo (Vista 32bit OS). It is as if the resolution is too high and the TV can't handle it once it goes to the logo. Looks great in safe mode and if I disable the video driver. When I do however it does not have the proper drivers for video so I cannot do live TV, DVDs are choppy, max resolution is 800x600, and misc other inconveniences.

Shouldn't I be able to to 1024x768? I've loaded the drivers and set the resolution to 800x600, lowered the color depth and everything else that I can think of and it still tweaks at the windows logo. The only way I can see on my TV is to do safe mode or disable the video driver and presumably use the stock VGA driver.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide...

1024x768 and 800x600 may not be acceptable resolutions. its best to stick with trying hdtv resolutions 1280x720 ( 720p) 1920x1080 ( 1080i) 720x480 (sd/480i/p)
i'd start with 720p. the nvidia control panel has prebuilt tv output options to play with. you might try the reference drivers from nvidia as well.

March 9, 2009 6:32:07 PM

Thx, I'll try those resolutions when I get home & will post the results.
March 23, 2009 10:14:41 PM

I had the same problem with my Mitsubishi, my problem was I was connecting the RGB cables to component1
My TV has three sets of RGB inputs Com1 Com2 and DTV I read on another forum that the Com1/2 are only meant for 480P/i input and that in order to take advantage of the 720P or 1080i capabilities you need to use the RGB plugs labeled DTV and also you may need to go into your Menu>Setup>Input Assignment> and change DTV's setting to YPbPr to display properly. Worked for me, but after changing video cards it no longer reads it when i display 720p, only 1080i... ugh
March 24, 2009 2:18:29 PM

timishue said:
I had the same problem with my Mitsubishi, my problem was I was connecting the RGB cables to component1
My TV has three sets of RGB inputs Com1 Com2 and DTV I read on another forum that the Com1/2 are only meant for 480P/i input and that in order to take advantage of the 720P or 1080i capabilities you need to use the RGB plugs labeled DTV and also you may need to go into your Menu>Setup>Input Assignment> and change DTV's setting to YPbPr to display properly. Worked for me, but after changing video cards it no longer reads it when i display 720p, only 1080i... ugh

Thx, that's funny I had just figured that out too! Would have saved me a couple of weeks of fooling around. Oh well gave me a reason to have more beers! ;)  I've now got it working but sometimes the kid's games will try to change the resolution to a resolution that doesn't work I just get red/green/blue streaks and then it goes to a blue screen. I'm running at 1024x768 and it looks great. I can go to higher res's but the text gets too small to read. Seems like the only resolutions that DON'T work are the ones that SHOULD work ie: 1280x720 ( 720p) 1920x1080 ( 1080i) 720x480 (sd/480i/p) those crap out my TV but all the others work fine. Weird.
March 24, 2009 2:28:09 PM

Ignatowski said:
1024x768 and 800x600 may not be acceptable resolutions. its best to stick with trying hdtv resolutions 1280x720 ( 720p) 1920x1080 ( 1080i) 720x480 (sd/480i/p)
i'd start with 720p. the nvidia control panel has prebuilt tv output options to play with. you might try the reference drivers from nvidia as well.

Thanks for the tip,

Turns out those resolutions are the only ones that DON'T work. Go figure! When I tried the resolutions you suggested I would get RGB streaks and then it would go to blue (no signal). When I tried other resolutions the TV would go black. I thought that this was not working until I accidentally bumped my mouse and the cursor moved from the small monitor I also had hooked up over to the TV so I had a completely black screen but with a little white arrow in it. Ding! What an idiot. I realized that the black was not an absence of signal but the color of my background! Duh!

Thanks for your help.

HnW
!