AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @ 3.0GHz

cubanjedi

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Just wanted to share some of my first overclocking results. I was able to overclock my AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego (2.4GHz stock) to 3.0GHz. This is my BIOS settings:

FSB Speed (HTT): 250MHz
CPU Multiplier: 12x
vCore: 1.5v
CPU->NB: 4x
RAM Speed: 166MHz
RAM Timing: 2.5-3-3-8

I ran Prime95 for 7+ hrs without any errors. My load temps get around 55C on stock cooling. I plan to buy an aftermarket cooler but not sure which one (thinking Freezer 64 Pro).

These settings seem to provide optimal results for me: CPU @ 3.0GHz, FSB @ 1000MHz, RAM @ 200MHz (Corsair ValueSelect DDR400). When I try to go to 3.1 or higher, my PC will not even POST (I have to reset the CMOS). I tried increasing the vCore and lowering the CPU->NB multiplier to 3 but with no success.

Any advice?

p.s. I posted this on the general CPU forum and didn't notice there was a forum dedicated to overclocking. Sorry about the double post.

acer0169

Distinguished
DDR400 ram is never going to help you overclock ;). I'm kinda' surprised you were stable at 3GHz. If I were you I'd buy a simple after market cooler and call it a day - everything's nice and dandy at the moment :].

cubanjedi

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Why surprised? Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't think I "pushed" anything to it's limit, besides the CPU maybe. I have the FSB and RAM running at normal speeds (FSB 1000MHz and RAM 200MHz).

BTW, I'm torn between a these coolers...

Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro

Zalman 9500A-LED

Tuniq Tower 120

Which do you guys think I should get?

I do have an old Swiftech CPU water block that I could use, but I would need to buy a radiator and coolant. But I would prefer going air if possible.

acer0169

Distinguished
I'm only surprised because 600MHz is a pretty nice overclock on that chip. I had one of them and only got to 2.8 stable. Maybe you had a special one or I got a bum one?

Anyway.. out of them three I'd get the Zalman. I've used them before and it should work great :].