Your question

I7 960 with Corsair DDR3 1866 Dominator help

Tags:
  • Intel i7
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 26, 2010 7:08:19 PM

Been reading for quite a while, and trying for quite a long time, and I am not getting any good results with my RAM.

My rig is an Asus P6X58D Premium with an I7 960 Processor and 6GB DDR3 1866 Corsair Dominator Ram, my cooling is not stock, and I am getting temps around 63c at 3.5Ghz on stress testing, but my RAM is not running full speed. I'm somewhat new to overclocking, and here's what my BIOS looks like right now.

Target CPU Frequency 3520Mhz
Target DRAM Frequency 1763Mhz

Ai Overlcock Tuner.....................[MANUAL]
CPU Ratio Setting.......................[16]
XtremePhas Full Power Mode.......[DISABLED]
BCLK Frequency.........................[220]
PCIE Frequency..........................[100]
DRAM Frequency.........................[AUTO]
UCLK Frequency..........................[3748Mhz (2x my ram speed)]
QPI Link Data Rate......................[AUTO]

CPU Voltage Control....................[MANUAL]
CPU Voltage...............................[1.20000]
CPU PLL Voltage..........................[AUTO]
QPI/DRAM Voltage.......................[AUTO]
IOH Voltage.................................[AUTO]
IOH PCIE Voltage.........................[AUTO]
ICH Voltage.................................[AUTO]
ICH PCIE Voltage.........................[AUTO]
DRAM BUS VOLTAGE....................[AUTO]
All other DRAM settings are AUTO

Load-Line Calibration...................[AUTO]
CPU Differential Amplitude............[AUTO]
CPU Clock Skew..........................[AUTO]
CPU Spread Spectrum..................[DISABLED]
IOH Clock Skew...........................[AUTO]
PCIE Spread Spectrum..................[AUTO]

I've learned thus far that by lowering my multiplier, I can set higher BCLK settings to raise the ram, but where am I going wrong? And it seems that if I even jump my FSB to 221 with that same voltage, I actually crash, and have to raise my voltage. I'm not looking for a complete walkthrough, just some suggestions, as to what I am doing right, and wrong. I've read so much that it's all become confusing, and I'm missing something, I believe it's my QPI and DRAM settings, but not sure.

Here are my current CPUID specs:

I would really appreciate some insight into this. I know it's something right there in the open, I just can't seem to catch it.

Thanks

More about : 960 corsair ddr3 1866 dominator

a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2010 7:55:45 PM

That's a REALLY high BClock. Will the memory run spec if you set the CPU to stock and enable XMP?
m
l
August 27, 2010 9:24:43 PM

With a 16 multiplier I didnt think it was that high, I did not consider runing xmp through bios, I'll give that a shot at stock settings, (133x24) my ram would only register 1033.

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2010 9:26:54 PM

hurocy434 said:

I've learned thus far that by lowering my multiplier, I can set higher BCLK settings to raise the ram, but where am I going wrong? And it seems that if I even jump my FSB to 221 with that same voltage, I actually crash, and have to raise my voltage. I'm not looking for a complete walkthrough, just some suggestions, as to what I am doing right, and wrong. I've read so much that it's all become confusing, and I'm missing something, I believe it's my QPI and DRAM settings, but not sure.

Where you are going wrong is there is a separate multiplier for your memory, independent of the bclk.

Secondly: Memory performance is the last thing you should worry about.
Thirdly: Memory performance makes little difference in a desktop application.
Fourth: Dont' sweat your memory settings - It makes little difference.
Fifth (are you detecting a little bit of a pattern) Don't obsess about RAM - it's there to accomodate whatever else you are doing.
Sixth: ...do you really need me to say it again?? ;) 

Reference: OVERCLOCKING I7 PROCESSORS ON ASUS MOTHERBOARDS

Now - #1 rule: Decide your processor overclock target first - You're not going to get far if you don't know here you're going, yah! ;) 

#2 - Determine the best bclk to get to your target processor overlock

- - LOWER YOUR CPU AND MEMORY DIVIDERS SO YOU ONLY OVERCLOCK THE BCLK
- - MAKE SURE YOUR BCLK IS STABLE AT THAT SETTING

#3 - Once you are sure your bclk setting is stable:

- - Raise your CPU Multiplier a few steps - test
- - Raise your CPU Multiplier a few more - Test
- - LEAVE YOUR MEMORY DIVIDER ALONE AND YOUR RAM UNDER CLOCKED
- - Once you have reached your intended Processor speed, make damned sure it's stable

#4 - Once your are absolutely sure your Processor Overclock is stable
- - Go Back and Adjust Your RAM to either it's rated speed, or as near to it as the math allows
- - Don't Sweat It if you don't reach it's rated speed - it'll be stable, require less voltage, and you will never notice the difference except in artificial benchmarking

Standard settings:

i7 960: Standard CPU multi is 25
bclk: Standard setting is 133.33

Rule: Unclock divider should be 2x Memory divider
Another rule: Don't screw with the QPI

Rule of Thumb you can choose to use or ignore ==> i7's like odd dividers.

Memory: We would like to end up somewhere near 1866. OK: 1833 / 133 = 13.78 So we are looking for a combination that ideally gets us to a memory divider of 14, at the standard bclk.

SO: The standard settings for your intended components should be: 133.33 bclk, 25 CPU Multi (133.33 * 25 = 3.33Ghz), Memory Divider set at 13, and therefore the Unclock should be 28.

OK - For some nice, neat math - let's choose a 155 bclk - with our 25 CPU Multi, that gets us to 3.89 GHz. A Memory Multi of 12 * 155 = 1860 for RAM, and therefore the Uncore should be 24.

The chart I linked above shows the possible combinations and gives WAAAY more information than I am about to type into a forum post.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2010 9:29:06 PM

To Add to my above post: Do NOT sweat your Memory Numbers. :)  If you have a nice, happy, high CPU overlock, and the Math says that (in order to be stable) your memory has to be underclocked from what it is rated as: Then BE HAPPY!

hurocy434 said:
With a 16 multiplier I didnt think it was that high, I did not consider runing xmp through bios, I'll give that a shot at stock settings, (133x24) my ram would only register 1033.

Your memory divider is set to 10. If you want your memory speed to change, then change the memory divider.
m
l