Sign in with
Your question

MSI mobo question

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2009 11:00:49 PM

Hi all,
I'm new to buying/assembling computers and had a quick question. I purchased a MSI K9N6PGM2 motherboard and Patriot RAM. The specs on the ram are ddr2 800MHz (5-5-5-12) 1gb. After assembling the computer and receiving a 'no signal' response on my monitor I began to do some research-to no avail. So now my question is this: The ram says 1.9v on it, and the ram slot on the motherboard says 1.8v. Could this discrepancy in voltage make my mobo not post? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am out of ideas. Thanks!

More about : msi mobo question

a c 435 V Motherboard
July 17, 2009 9:21:21 AM

Try posting with one stick, and if it works, bump up the ram voltage. I always recommend a bare post on a phonebook, especially for first time builders. Use the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram, video, and keyboard only. Connect the 2 leads from the ps; touch the power switch leads with a flathead screwdriver. Don't worry about touching the wrong pins; just be sure you have the right cluster. This cluster (power led, reset, power switch, etc) is all low voltage. But take the board out of the case to do it. It may be touching a spare standoff or other metal preventing it from starting up.
July 17, 2009 10:52:47 PM

Thanks for the replys everyone.
As far as lights, fans, etc., they are all working, i'm just not getting a signal on the monitor itself. I tried the monitor on another computer and it works fine. I do have the monitor plugged directly into the motherboard, as I dont have a seperate video card. I have another computer built identical to the two in question and it works, and this is why I'm so confused as to why these 2 won't. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Related resources
July 18, 2009 1:47:46 AM

could you get a spare graphics card for it? just so you could get into bios and check video settings.

also, is your keyboard numlock lighting up? it could be a bad mobo... i recently had that problem where everything worked but no light came from my mouse or keyboard cause the onboard was dead.
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 18, 2009 9:20:43 PM

Have you checked under the board for standoff positions? You may also have other metal to metal contact. Even the backplate can cause problems if it's crooked.
July 18, 2009 11:08:08 PM

if there was any metal to metal contact, the comp wouldnt be starting at all. so it cant be a short. most likely its just the mobo
!