Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU + GPU Liquid Cooling Order- HELP NEEDED!!

Last response: in Overclocking
August 26, 2010 10:29:37 PM

Hey guys,

Installing my water cooling system when it arrives soon
and doing some prep before it comes.

Quick list of Cooling parts

Case- Haf X
Radiator- Black Ice gtx 360
*Should i mount 3 fans on the top of the case? or under the rad inside the case?
Pump- Danger Den 12v fixed speed pump
CPU Block- EK HF for amd phenom ii x6 1090t
GPU Block- DangerDen 5970
Tubing- Danger Den Clear UV Blue

So the loop i was thinking of is:

Pump--->Rad--->CPU--->GPU--->Rad

This is my first system so i just went with what
seemed most logical to me (CPU needs cooler water than GPU so have it first).

I've seen post saying that a resevoir is needed,
but i dont understand how i'd mount that in my case.
I've seen res's that mount in a Spare HD bay, but not sure.

But if i did get one, if someone could help explain to me how it works/if one is even really needed,
loop would probably go something like this

Res--->Pump--->Rad--->CPU--->GPU--->Rad

Future Thanks for your help!!
August 26, 2010 10:46:40 PM

Don't water cool, so can't really help you on everything else, but a resevoir is needed to keep a constant supply of water to your pump. Air will be forced to the top of your radiator, minimising the risk of your pump cavitating and burning out, as well as increasing water volume to help spread the heat.

You're last option makes the most logical sense as the heat in the water is being disipated before the resevoir to prevent it heating, and cooled again before getting to your CPU/GPU. If anything, you would only need 1 radiator before your resevoir depending on how hot your system will be. And fans on the radiator also makes the most sense, as that is where you are trying to disipate the most heat...but fans on the top of your case to push out ambient heat is also a good idea.

/end 2 cents ;-)
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2010 12:30:13 PM

Since the radiator is going to be in the top of the case, I would play around with the fan placement. Tests have shown that fans pulling performs better than fans pushing, so I would test having the fans on top of the case pulling air out, and then test the fans on the bottom of the rad pulling air into the case.

I was able to lower my friends' CPU temps by 6C last night just by switching the fans on the top of his case (where the rad is) to pulling into the case and not pushing out of it.

Also, if you can make a shroud for the radiator (to lift the fans up by an inch or so), you'll see another few degree difference from it.
Score
Related resources
August 29, 2010 5:35:18 AM

first off you shouldnt put your 6x core with any gpu...specially that one. that gpu at full load will prolly hit up in the 70s or even 80s C. thats alot of heat that will be traveling to your 6x core that you dont want. it really doesnt matter what component comes first or last when it comes to cooling two components because eventually you will reach an equalibrium in your loop where the water temp isnt going to change at all between component to component.

secondly, a res for a watercooling loop isnt a MUST but more of a highly recommended component in your system. it'll effectively bleed out air from your system and improve performance. if you dont have one then i wouldnt worry as long as you have a T-line in your system for air bubbles to go(it'll just take days to bleed instead of seconds-hours) dont worry...it wont cavitate your pump and explode!! unless your pump is at the highest point of your loop in which case it will NEVER get fluid. if its at the lowest point in your loop then it'll be fine. another thing is that air might get caught in your radiator and lower performance from that component by quite a bit.

and about mounting the reservoir...here are some pics from my cpu that id like to share =) i made the res myself and its mounted in my spare cd drive slots.

its a waterfall style res so it'll bleed off bubbles in seconds of turning the computer on. secondly i dont need a flow indicator because as long as i can see the waterfalling around im happy =) lastly it holds almost half a gallon and gives me bragging rights ^_^
Score
August 29, 2010 6:02:44 AM

Sooo should I get 2 radiators for 2 loops?
And if I do this will I need such a large radiator? Or two smaller ones? I guess i could Just go 2x gtx 360's. But then I'd need 2x pumps and 2x res's? I figured since I was putting it all in a haf x with the 2x200 mm fans and 1 140mm fan, along with the gtx 360 with 3x fans on top it'd stay pretty cool
Score
August 31, 2010 1:47:16 AM

it doesnt matter how many fans are going into your case. its the air that travels through your radiators that matter once you start watercooling. if i were you then i would either just watercool the cpu or gpu...i wouldnt recommend both if you're trying to cram all of that into one case but thats totally up to you.

also yes...two loops = two pumps, two reservoirs, two radiators, and two everything. watercooling = money dude...if you are going to skimp out on the proper parts then its better to leave it stock and save money for something that is worth while.
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 31, 2010 6:12:28 PM

You aren't going to see much difference in temps from any order you put the components in. It all comes down to how much radiator you have, coolant flow and air flow. Depending on how many watts you are dumping into the loop will determine your configuration.

Most people run a loop similar to this:

pump > CPU > GPU > rad(s) > reservior >

Again, it really won't make a whole lot of difference but it helps to have your reservior or t-line before your pump in order to fill/prime it easier. The concept that the CPU or GPU creates such intense heat that the coolant is incredibly hot isn't correct. Throughout the loop, you should only see between 3-5C difference in temps at any single point; 5C probably being farily close to reality. Regardless, water is capable at carrying far more heat energy than air, so the water doesn't reach the temps an air cooler does for either component.
Score
September 1, 2010 9:01:27 PM

A Black Ice GTX 360 can cool a 1090T and 5970 without a problem. The GPU is after the CPU. There WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM!. Too many people recommend a huge radiator without understanding how much a single radiator, especially a Black Ice GTX 360, can dissipate. I would recommend some Sythe GT 1850 RPM fans in pull with shrouds if you have them.

RAD->CPU->GPU->RES->PUMP->RAD and so on.

Let me restate this. You're fine

Here is a link that proves this. I'd rather you look at tests than me state it will or won't do as claimed

http://skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-gtx360.html

In this test, it shows 3 ~1800 RPM Yates on the Rad dissipating 684 watts with under 10C Delta. This is very good and you have no problems. I doubt your CPU is even close to 200 watts and your GPU is around 300W at full load. Again this is a 8C Delta. 10C is a very capable loop. I don't think anyone should argue that a 5970 and 1090T will create almost 700W of heat.

So lets all work together to stop spreading misinformation if we aren't sure on a topic. Misguiding people isn't very nice.
Score
September 2, 2010 12:02:30 AM

Thanks a lot one shot! I was getting real confused, thanks for the input!
Score
September 2, 2010 5:42:48 AM

chilledviking said:
Thanks a lot one shot! I was getting real confused, thanks for the input!

I'm glad I could help. PM me if you have any more specific questions.
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 1:09:07 PM

The only thing you have to consider is that getting less than a 10C delta for your loop, you need to make sure you meet the flow and fan requirements for that to be the case, and it isn't always so in every loop. I do agree that you can make up for a lower flow system with higher-flow fans, so this is something to always consider, if you are willing to accept the noise levels associated. I'd always rather go with more radiator and fewer or slower fans instead of loading up a single rad with jet-turbo fans.
Score
March 5, 2011 10:01:22 PM

i4yue said:
first off you shouldnt put your 6x core with any gpu...specially that one. that gpu at full load will prolly hit up in the 70s or even 80s C. thats alot of heat that will be traveling to your 6x core that you dont want. it really doesnt matter what component comes first or last when it comes to cooling two components because eventually you will reach an equalibrium in your loop where the water temp isnt going to change at all between component to component.

secondly, a res for a watercooling loop isnt a MUST but more of a highly recommended component in your system. it'll effectively bleed out air from your system and improve performance. if you dont have one then i wouldnt worry as long as you have a T-line in your system for air bubbles to go(it'll just take days to bleed instead of seconds-hours) dont worry...it wont cavitate your pump and explode!! unless your pump is at the highest point of your loop in which case it will NEVER get fluid. if its at the lowest point in your loop then it'll be fine. another thing is that air might get caught in your radiator and lower performance from that component by quite a bit.

and about mounting the reservoir...here are some pics from my cpu that id like to share =) i made the res myself and its mounted in my spare cd drive slots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/ricemonkey918/IMG_2104.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/ricemonkey918/IMG_2107.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/ricemonkey918/IMG_2108.jpg

its a waterfall style res so it'll bleed off bubbles in seconds of turning the computer on. secondly i dont need a flow indicator because as long as i can see the waterfalling around im happy =) lastly it holds almost half a gallon and gives me bragging rights ^_^

no offense but clean up ur
case buddy
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 6:05:36 PM

No offense, but stop resurrecting old threads.

Mods, can we get this closed?
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2011 7:08:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Tecmo34
Score
!