Another Newb...What do I have?

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 28, 2004 12:58:31 AM

Okay, I moved into this house a year ago, previous owner was a bit of a
techie. He had DirecTv, I went with DishNetwork...no issues.

He also had a second Dish mounted higher up on the house, in a different
place totally from where his DirecTV and now my Dish Network dish is. Seems
to be pointed in a bit of a different area of the sky as well, although not
that different...

I asked the Dish Network installer if he knew what the other dish was, of
course he did not.

It is about the same size as my dish network dish, has no visible markings,
is plain tan in color.

It is pretty high up on the chimney, I've never gotten a real close look at
it, so I may be a bit off on the size.

Still looks to have all parts intact, and I know where in the house the coax
comes in.

Question...any clue what this could be? Is there any way (without cost)
that I can at least test it out to get a better idea of what it may have
been used for, like maybe with my EchoStar 301 receiver?

I'm not looking to get anything for nothing, I just want to know what I
have, and whether or not I want to pursue a possible FTA receiver purchase
(if indeed that is what this was for) or rip it off the house all together.

Again, not looking to replace my Dish Network service or anything, I just
want to know what this other dish on my house was used for and whether or
not I want to keep it.

Any advise would be appreciated.

More about : newb

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:58:32 AM

Grityyz <vcuwilson@adelphia.net> wrote:
> Okay, I moved into this house a year ago, previous owner was a bit of
> a techie. He had DirecTv, I went with DishNetwork...no issues.
> He also had a second Dish mounted higher up on the house, in a
> different place totally from where his DirecTV and now my Dish
> Network dish is. Seems to be pointed in a bit of a different area of
> the sky as well, although not that different...
> Question...any clue what this could be?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/DishPointerServlet says that DirecTV has
three birds, at 101, 110, and 119.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/ins...
says that DishNetwork has three birds, at 61.5, 110, and 119.

So, if you have either of those and you want to see more than one
satellite, you either get a twin-LNB dish that can see two adjacent
satellites at a time, or you get a second dish and point it at a
different one. For example: I'm currently pointed at DishNetwork
110 & 119, and subscribed to the 'top 120', and there are a couple
channels that tell me "you need an additional dish to view this
program". If you have the spare dish, point it at the other satellite,
wire it in with a switch, and you should pick up some extra stuff.

--
Huey
!