I2ain

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Replaced the motherboard and power supply still compleatly dead. Would a bad processor keep everything dead? or should fans kick on. Could it be a bad on/off switch?

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi

If nothing at all is coming on follow your own advise and take a close look at that power button. Question, is the motherboard light on? Do you have the CPU power cable plugged in?

I2ain

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Yes the motherboard power light is on, is there a way to test the power button? the one I have is in a small box with two usb ports right next to it. And if thats it, any ideas on where to put a new power switch..lol i'm sure getting a new one of those might be hard to track down....maybe a new case is in order..

and yes i've checked all the power cables, its doing the same thing with the new motherboard as it did with the old.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Have you double checked your front panel headers, mae sure you didn't cross the reset and power buttons? If so, push the reset and see if that powers on.

I'd go right to the motherboard front panel control. You can try the old screwdriver trick and short the pins like hot wiring a car. I do it all the time when I test motherboards before mounting them in the case.

I2ain

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Ok I took a face plate off of a old case just to see if the power button would work, I got the same result as the one on my computer, the motherboard power light is on, and the fans barely move and then nothing.

back to square one. I just wouldn't imagine if the processor went out that nothing would work, I figure the hard drives and fans would whirl just everything else would be dead.

I2ain

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
just just jump the two pins that are for the switch right? and yea no reset button on this gateway case just the power button lead, and a lead for the power switch light (which isn't coming on either

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
"fans barely move and then nothing"

Sound like one of your components or wires may be shorting. I had the same symptoms a while back. I fried a VGA, (water leak) the fans would cut on for a split second and then shut off. It didn't stop there, my motherboard fried to, no more pretty UV clamps, it all about the garden hose clamps but anyway back to you. If one of your components are bad and is damaging your motherboard you need identify the source before buying anymore parts or you'll be right back where you started. Start with the VGA and then move to your other hardware. Pull the card(s) and see if you can get the computer to run w/o shutting down (a bios post is not necessary) . Once you get the computer to run w/o shutting down you've identified the bad part.

CoachB

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Is your CPU fan plugged in correctly and to the correct spot? Is your heatsink mounted properly? Did you by chance move the CMOS jumper or accidently dislodge it? Check to make sure it is in the right position.

Sometimes a borked CPU will keep anything from starting. The mobo detects a fault and immediately aborts any startup. The fan "wiggle" would be a symptom of such a problem.

nickhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
If your fans are barely moving and then nothing, I'm guessing the problem is with your RAM. What type of motherboard do you have? Also did you read the mannual and follow the instruction on the way to insert the RAM? If you have a tri channel kit of RAM you need to place it in the correct color slots, not just the slots cloest to the cpu.

I2ain

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Asus m4a78-em is my new board...this problem im having is not since i've put in the new board, it started out of the blue one day with my old board. All I did was buy a new power supply and a new motherboard, going off of the advice I got from a "computer expert" you know how that goes. Dont mind buying new parts since its all has been a upgrade, but now its starting to get old. Never thought about the ram going bad, but I put 2gig of the ram in another computer and it worked fine in it. Maybe i'll pull out the other 1gig of ram that I didn't move and try that.

I2ain

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Asus m4a78-em board, amd phenom 9600 q-4 cpu, geforce 8800gt video card, 3gig ram, gateway case. vista
I checked the ram no change, I unplugged everything off the motherboard (harddrive, graphics, dvd, cable tv card ect and still no different.... all I can think of is the cpu...guess I'll go buy a 60 dollar one just to see if thats it, still cheaper then a computer tech

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If you have changed motherboard & PSU, try starting withjust PSUm motherboard and CPU9with HSF of course)m no memory. Fans should start and continuous series of beeps for memory problem. If not, is CPU!

Mike