Sign in with
Your question

AC '97 Doesn't Work

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2009 7:53:20 AM

I have a Gigabyte UD4P and the previous owner of a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR. In my case, the Antec 1200, I was able to plug the AC '97 wire (coming from the mic/headphone jack at top of case) into my onboard sound card with success on my DFI Lanparty sli-dr. With the gigabyte board, plugging in the AC '97 wire into the onboard sound card does not work. The USB panel wires work, but the mic/headphone jack does not. Am I doing something wrong?

More about : work

a c 156 V Motherboard
July 17, 2009 8:55:54 AM

Late model Gigabyte boards do not support AC97. They support High Definition Audio. The driver can reconfigure the system so that the mike/headphone jack works.
July 17, 2009 9:08:44 AM

jsc said:
Late model Gigabyte boards do not support AC97. They support High Definition Audio. The driver can reconfigure the system so that the mike/headphone jack works.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. How would I go about doing that?
Related resources
July 17, 2009 12:50:10 PM

The front panel audio has to be configured in your Realtec HD software. (The little orange speaker icon on the bottom right hand side of your screen) Check it out and read the manual as it will guide you on how to set it up.
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 17, 2009 12:54:29 PM

I don't know which UD4P you have (my on-site manual collection contains 3, and there are more available at GB) so I picked one as an example (GA-MA790X-UD4P):

July 17, 2009 10:35:40 PM

I got the most up to date driver and enabled that in the realtek configuration tool. The problem though is that volume still comes out of the speakers regardless of whether or not I have the "mute rear panel when headphones are plugged in" checked or not. Any ideas on why this would happen?
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 17, 2009 11:38:19 PM

Note above:
Quote:
"only supported when using an HD front panel audio module"

you have AC'97, not HD...
July 17, 2009 11:42:22 PM

bilbat said:
Note above:
Quote:
"only supported when using an HD front panel audio module"

you have AC'97, not HD...

Ahh I see, guess I'll have to invest into a nice audio card if I want to fix that. Just don't know if its really worth as I have never bought an audio card.
January 3, 2010 2:00:10 PM

This seems to have something to do with my post about microphone not working I think. I have a gigabyte motherboard and I plugged the front wire labeled HDD not the AC'97 one maybe this has something to do with microphone not working? anyone?
Also something about Realtek drivers maybe? I possibly should have just used the on board sound instead of putting an Audigy sound card. Games do sound great though headphones but can't use microphone. This problem is on my daughters computer I just built. In game Half-Life Deathmatch she can hear me talking. I see the speaker icon light up when she pushes button to talk but no voice comes though.
This is a very frustrating problem I've tried the control panel settings everything and can't get microphone to work for nothing.
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 3:19:45 PM

Confused - need more detail:

Motherboard part number & rev (if applicable)...
Trying to use which - sound card or on-board CODEC?
If sound card, sound card part number...
Case manufacturer and part number...

Can likely help, but not very good at the telepathy part :pt1cable: 
!