Sign in with
Your question

EU fine Intel 1.6B euros

Last response: in CPUs
May 13, 2009 9:58:24 AM

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/13/european-commis...

"The European Commission found leading computer chipmaker Intel guilty Wednesday of violating European anti-trust rules and ordered that it pay a fine of 1.6 billion euros ($2.2 billion)."

Now we can await the continued appeals process. I wonder what sort of rough calculation they used to come up with that number.

More about : fine intel euros

a b à CPUs
May 13, 2009 11:14:28 AM

w00t !!
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2009 11:15:23 AM

He said Intel never sells chips at below cost.

LOL ...
Related resources
May 13, 2009 12:12:04 PM

It's a joke that S.Korea fined Intel for 21 million dollars, that's chump change for them.
May 13, 2009 1:17:22 PM

samprasfan said:
http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/13/european-commis...

"The European Commission found leading computer chipmaker Intel guilty Wednesday of violating European anti-trust rules and ordered that it pay a fine of 1.6 billion euros ($2.2 billion)."

Now we can await the continued appeals process. I wonder what sort of rough calculation they used to come up with that number.

That's weird, Slashdot reports it as 1.06B not 1.6

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/13/113325...
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2009 1:23:22 PM

Well the common one is $1.45b US, whereas the Euro amount is all over the place. Let's go with $1.45b :D 
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2009 1:56:37 PM

Wake up SS, no time for daydreaming!
May 13, 2009 3:32:32 PM

/yawn

EU being its greedy self again....
May 13, 2009 4:16:46 PM

Yea, i'm seriously hoping for a US suit. Its about time someone tries to stop some of these monsterous corps. I'm all about free trade and free market. but you can't have people cheating like this. +1 EU.
May 13, 2009 4:18:11 PM

Scared? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Please stay tune for the scenes from the next episode, Intel files its first appeal...
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2009 4:47:58 PM

yomamafor1 said:
/yawn

EU being its greedy self again....

Simple equasion really.

Europe needed another 1.5 billion so the people in charge can have bigger cigars, more Rolls Royces and more Ferarris whilst the rest sit down skint in the recession.
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2009 8:08:38 PM

owned.
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2009 12:31:12 AM

Intel are being fined justly, but by people who couldn't care less about business practices, just cash flow.
May 14, 2009 1:21:58 AM

Intel deserves the fine, but my only problem with this is that EU is just gonna pocket everything, they should at least award damage recompensation.
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2009 8:06:24 AM

You dont realise how much europe costs us all here...

I dont want to be part of the european union when Uk follow all the rules and the French and Spanish do not.

AMD should get some of that money.
a c 123 à CPUs
May 14, 2009 8:19:42 AM

Quote:
EU greedy? Another fanboy in denial. Talk about greed, Intel did everything it could to keep AMD from selling cpu's, illegally, which is ultimately caused AMD's near collapse. Intel must have been pretty scared of little AMD.
Now AMD is on the comeback with its own platform thats selling like hotcakes and GPU's that are technologically superior to their only competitor, Nvidia.
Imagine how scared they are now! 1.65 billion is quite a chunk, probably completely negates any i7 sales since its release and more.
Hopefully the US slaps them with a suit now.

The EU is greedy when all that money is going to THEIR pockets and not AMDs pockets. Or do you think the EU is getting its just rewards to make itself happy?

So first MS, now Intel next up: Google. Lets see how much the EU can shave off of them.

Either way if you read the reports Otelinni states there is evidence that the EU doesn't want to use. he claims it helps their side. If it does then why would the EU not want to look at it? Possibly to keep their hefty fine? Who knows.

As I have said before, it would be cool if we could get all the documents, contracts and emails to look at instead of listening to the EU who does have some special interests in the case (AMD FABS in Germany...).
May 14, 2009 9:06:20 AM

Hmmm. 3 strikes youre out!!! This one did it for me. Intel is guilty. They bribed people to control sales. Not good. They have all the power, and they got greedy. Guess 80% of a market isnt enough.After Japan, after Korea, now the EU, and maybe the US also, when will people realize this is it for Intel? That theyve obviously done something wrong. Ive held out til now, giving them the benefit of doubt, but 3 times up, and 3 times down, youre out.

Also, I understand the fine has to be payed immediately, with the monies held in escrow til all appeals are exhausted, or Intel is exonerated
May 14, 2009 12:03:39 PM

Right suit, wrong time. When this suit was filed in 2001, AMD had a superior product for a superior pice BUT couldn't get in the door with most major OEMs because of Intel's black-ops division.. There was corruption, anti-competitive practices and old fashioned strong-armed tatics on Intel's part back then that kept AMD from gaining even more market share.

AMD then fell victim to bad timing and worse management.

One Intel got it's chit together and started producing better chips. Not as elegant or well designed as AMD's but that didn't matter, brute force uber alles.

Two, AMD management suddenly became brain dead. Mistake after mistake in product release in over-zealous promotion of inferior product you name it. This was a double hit because everytime they failed to measure up the Intel spook boys flooded forums and offices to poor even more dirt on.

Three AMD forgot that its easier to get on top than to stay on top. They had a great 3 year run where their Athlon chips waxed Intel butt like lunch but they failed to work on their second act and hence had no answer for the Core 2 Processor.

Four, AMD bought ATI, the right move and the wrong time. Making themselves cash strapped for development after having woken the sleeping giant.

These things have more to do with AMD's current state of affairs than Intel dirty tricks, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Da Worfster
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2009 12:37:06 PM

pwned would be the correct response Werxen !!

Intel black-ops Division ... hmm ... I am going to change my sig worf.

!