Dorms vs Greek Houses

I like the Dorms because you are only responsible for the one Sim, where
as in the Greek House you are playing all of them. Which isn't more than
a family, 3-4, but I like playing just the one.

The Greek Houses are only available on two of the 3 campuses (I kept
wondering why I couldn't get the option to 'join' when I clicked on
Greek House...(from the phone)I was only getting 'apply for charter'.
This explanation comes from the booklet.

In the 'Academie Le Tour-style' Campus you can create one with your Sim
by applying for a charter via phone.
La Fiesta Tech is the one that has terrain like that of StrangeTown and
the other is Sim State University.

Another cool thing, you are able to play (and create) the University
students without having to go into the neighborhood. In fact you can
only create students(young adults) in the University game. There is a
small icon on the neighborhood story screen right before you go into the
neighborhood that takes you to the University.

Just like neighborhoods you can create as many campuses as you want.
There is a 'create campus' button just like create neighborhood.

weasel

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004

I don't even know what a greek house is! What does it mean? (I'm a Brit
and just had halls of res at uni!)

Weas

Yes - the Academie Le Tour is meant to be like a European university - and
we don't do the Greek house thing over here, it's an American invention (as
far as I know).

Best wishes
Maxon

Maxon wrote:
> Yes - the Academie Le Tour is meant to be like a European university - and
> we don't do the Greek house thing over here, it's an American invention (as
> far as I know).
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I like the Dorms because you are only responsible for the one Sim, where
>>as in the Greek House you are playing all of them. Which isn't more than
>>a family, 3-4, but I like playing just the one.
>>
>>The Greek Houses are only available on two of the 3 campuses (I kept
>>wondering why I couldn't get the option to 'join' when I clicked on
>>Greek House...(from the phone)I was only getting 'apply for charter'.
>>This explanation comes from the booklet.
>>
>>In the 'Academie Le Tour-style' Campus you can create one with your Sim
>>by applying for a charter via phone.
>>La Fiesta Tech is the one that has terrain like that of StrangeTown and
>>the other is Sim State University.

====
aaahh, enlightenment! :)

On 3 Mar 2005, Weasel wrote:
> I don't even know what a greek house is! What does it mean? (I'm a Brit
> and just had halls of res at uni!)

They're more commonly known as frat[ernity] (and sorority, for women)
houses. They invariably identify themselves using 2-3 Greek letters (alpha,
eta, beta, pi, gamma, lamda, omega, etc.).

Weasel wrote:

> I don't even know what a greek house is! What does it mean? (I'm a Brit
> and just had halls of res at uni!)
>
> Weas

How does one explain Animal House?

I don't even know where to begin. Never joined one, just used to party hop.

-georg

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 22:07:26 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The Greek Houses are only available on two of the 3 campuses (I kept
>wondering why I couldn't get the option to 'join' when I clicked on
>Greek House...(from the phone)I was only getting 'apply for charter'.
>This explanation comes from the booklet.

I started my own greek house... it has the letters H H H... or Hoh Hoh
Hoh... I thought it was a nice touch :)

Well, I THINK:

They're sort of student associations - a group of people who live together
(Frat House/Sorority House) and who have affiliations to one another while
at college. They buy into the house they live in, I think, and so provide
accommodation. They help one another out and provide a social structure.
There are often initiation tests to get into the fraternity/sorority and
afterwards. It's has a sort of artificial social structure that's probably
meant to help people out while they're away at college and on their own and
'vulnerable' though it's a system that people can abuse as well (if you've
tried the EP you'll realise that there's a hierarchy to Greek houses, though
don't expect me to explain what that is). I'm not sure if these
affiliations continue after college or whether belonging to a Greek house
helps your career afterwards either but there is a masonic flavour to the
Greek houses (it may be that that's where they sprung from). You'd have to
ask an American. Also, I don't think the Greek houses are part of the
university like a hall of residence is - the houses are privately owned by
the house associations. It sounds typically American to me - there's so
much about American culture, once you scratch the surface, that's really
quite alien to us Europeans.

Anyway, if I've got any of that wrong (and I think that's quite likely),
please, any ex-Frat/Sorority people, please correct me. I'd actually be
quite interested to know. Maybe I should actually do some research - but
it's not part of my topic (I'm a research student, if you didn't know so
research is what I supposedly do - only when I can't avoid it, mind!).

Best wishes
Maxon

> Weasel wrote:
>
> > I don't even know what a greek house is! What does it mean? (I'm a Brit
> > and just had halls of res at uni!)
> >
> > Weas
> >

> How does one explain Animal House?
>
> I don't even know where to begin. Never joined one, just used to party
hop.

> -georg

Most sororty/fraternerties have national organizations that pay for the
hovse and other initial set vp costs. Fees paid for rooms tend to go
toward maintenance. There is definitely an initiation period, and there
are secret meetings held, the natvre of which are determined by the s/f.
Some are more casval, others like the famovs Skvll and Bones of Yale are
really secret. The flavor of the parties thrown also depends on the
flavor of the s/f-- the agricvltvral fraternity's parties were never as
wild as some of the other frat parties I went to. They also have formal
dances as well. They vsally have a charter that explains their pvrpose,
and that vsvally sets the tone.

And yes, there's definitely a network there that lasts beyond college.
The alvms often go back for revnions. And this can mean job opportvnity
or bvsiness deals.

It may svrprise yov to know how many CEOs were members of Skvll and
Bones.... as were both Bvsh and Kerry. That's a powerfvl frat.

Dorms are more like apartment living- yov get to know the folks arovnd
yov, bvt not vsvally as well as in a Hovse, where one eats, stvdies, and
plays together constantly.

The origins of s/f I think may lie in the Masons which did thrive here
at ovr fovnding. Bvt so did a lot of other splinter cvltvre grovps who
wished to escape persecvtion in the old covntry.

-georg

Maxon wrote:

> Well, I THINK:
>
> They're sort of stvdent associations - a grovp of people who live together
> (Frat Hovse/Sorority Hovse) and who have affiliations to one another while
> at college. They bvy into the hovse they live in, I think, and so provide
> accommodation. They help one another ovt and provide a social strvctvre.
> There are often initiation tests to get into the fraternity/sorority and
> afterwards. It's has a sort of artificial social strvctvre that's probably
> meant to help people ovt while they're away at college and on their own and
> 'vvlnerable' thovgh it's a system that people can abvse as well (if yov've
> tried the EP yov'll realise that there's a hierarchy to Greek hovses, thovgh
> don't expect me to explain what that is). I'm not svre if these
> affiliations continve after college or whether belonging to a Greek hovse
> helps yovr career afterwards either bvt there is a masonic flavovr to the
> Greek hovses (it may be that that's where they sprvng from). Yov'd have to
> ask an American. Also, I don't think the Greek hovses are part of the
> vniversity like a hall of residence is - the hovses are privately owned by
> the hovse associations. It sovnds typically American to me - there's so
> mvch abovt American cvltvre, once yov scratch the svrface, that's really
> qvite alien to vs Evropeans.
>
> Anyway, if I've got any of that wrong (and I think that's qvite likely),
> please, any ex-Frat/Sorority people, please correct me. I'd actvally be
> qvite interested to know. Maybe I shovld actvally do some research - bvt
> it's not part of my topic (I'm a research stvdent, if yov didn't know so
> research is what I svpposedly do - only when I can't avoid it, mind!).
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

weasel

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004

Wow! Thanks everyone. I've always wondered, and with S2U thought I
really should find out. It's very interesting. Nothing like that over
here!

Can't wait til Thursday to start playing (chuffin UK release dates!)

Lou

Friday - even worse.