DigitalNeoKnight

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Hello,

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a multi-harddrive enclosure. I need one that is spacious, has good cooling, and can support six 2TB usb/sata hardrives, assuming one even exist. I don't want it to act as a raid setup, I want each drive acting independently.

Thanks in advance for any info given.

Solution
You should still consider doing a RAID-5 array. 6x2TB drives will still give you 10TB of space which is currently more than enough space - plus gives you the added bonus of if a drive dies, its still recoverable. Unlike doing JBOD or seperate drive letters - you'll have to re-rip all the dvds/blu-rays.

DigitalNeoKnight

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

They will be used all at once eventually, but not for at least two to five or more years. I'm setting up a media center of sorts for someone, where all his movies are being streamed from his PC or laptop. The person needs to store 100 blu-ray disc, and 800 dvd movies. I figured three or six 2tb drives where enough, but seeing as how he has so many disc, and I don't want to be bothered anymore (at least not for a while) after I set everything up, I've decided to go with at least five drives. I wanted to go with a non-raid setup because I don't want a situation where the guy dumps everything to the drives, one drive goes bad and all a sudden the movies start to stream like crap.

scotu

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
As a media server, that shouldn't be an issue unless there are many people streaming at once. 100xBlu Ray and 800xDVD will take up over 11GB probably. It may also not be a bad call to get several smaller enclosures.

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

i think you meant 11 TB...

DigitalNeoKnight

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

That's what I was going with originally. I was going to just buy six 2tb drives, get a usb hub and that's it. Then I thought it might be easier if the guy (who's not very computer savvy) could just dump all his movies onto one huge drive, instead of splitting everything up. The bluray movies are about 20gb when ripped, and 100x20gb is 2TB, so the first two drives would be enough for his current bluray collection.

jfreggie

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
You should still consider doing a RAID-5 array. 6x2TB drives will still give you 10TB of space which is currently more than enough space - plus gives you the added bonus of if a drive dies, its still recoverable. Unlike doing JBOD or seperate drive letters - you'll have to re-rip all the dvds/blu-rays.

Solution