Sign in with
Your question

New HTPC Build

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2009 5:03:07 PM

i am looking to build a htpc. i have some experience building desktops. i want to do away with my cable bill if possible. i would like it to have pvr capabilities too. any suggestions would be great. i do not want to spend more than 800.00 at this moment, but i would like to make sure it can be upgraded. i have not built a linux system yet, but am not opposed to it.

More about : htpc build

February 14, 2009 6:11:26 PM

Do you have any parts you can use for this build or is the $800 for everything?
February 15, 2009 4:25:37 AM

You'd want an mATX casing or even better a shoebox and here is a suggested config, you may want to add in a TV tuner card or get another HDD for RAID yada yada hehe I'd be looking to undervolt this set up as much as i can get away with and DDR2 800 value RAMs would do actually ^^

Related resources
February 15, 2009 3:08:11 PM

Get a 300-400W Seasonic PSU, much better quality and better size.
February 15, 2009 5:19:43 PM

thank you all for your replies. i am considering using linux to cut some of the costs. what about myth tv? rwpritchett - i am starting from scratch.

March 8, 2009 2:28:23 PM

teajai67 said:
thank you all for your replies. i am considering using linux to cut some of the costs. what about myth tv? rwpritchett - i am starting from scratch.

I'm using MythTV for two years now and I'm satisfied with it. At that time it was useful if you were able to poke around linux, but now I think that is much easier with all that myth enabled distributions (Mythbuntu etc).
!