Solved

Getting more juice out of old Compaq Presario AMD 2400+

Hey everyone, I just got a free old computer a Compaq Presario w. AMD 2400+ AMD Athlon XP processor and 333 mhz 756mb of DDR memory. Yes I know this is an old piece of crap, but it works. I have my gaming rig in my living room and want a simple media pc to connect to the tv in the bedroom. By media pc I mean just a computer that won't have a meltdown playing a regular .avi movie. Obviously because this is an old computer, there are not many options. I was just wondering if, how and by how much I can OC the processor to get a little more juice out of the computer. Does AMD Overdrive work on such an old pc? I have an old nvidia geforce fx 5200 that had lying around that i dropped in it. Can I overclock this? If so, what are some safe mem, clock, shader values I can use? Also I am not sure if the card even works right, normal computing is fine, but there is constant stuttering when playing any sort of movie. Thanks guys in advance.

-Sean
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about getting juice compaq presario 2400
  1. While overclocking regularly would be an option, pre-manufactured PC's have a tendency of the OEM locking up all the options in the BIOS. If you can confirm that the BIOS is not locked, you should be able to get a moderate OC out of this unit. I wouldn't keep my hopes up, but it's worth a try.
  2. Pyroflea, yes the bios is locked. However, would AMD's Overdrive software work for an older non 64bit CPU? Let me know, thanks.
  3. Best answer
    Overdrive's system requirements can be found by clicking the "System Requirements" tab:
    http://game.amd.com/it-it/drivers_overdrive.aspx

I don't believe your motherboard uses any of the chipsets on the list provided, but the only way to tell is for you to check yourself.
  4. Best answer selected by bosey85.
Ask a new question

Read More

Presario Compaq AMD Computer Overclocking