philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hi.. I made a new rig...
PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer PSU,
Core2Quad Q9300 2.5 GHz,
EVGA 750i FTW motherboard,
EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+,
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 2x2GB Dual Channel memory.
Using Vista 64-bit Ultimate with latest motherboard and graphics card drivers installed. (Even checked on XP 32-bit but problem persisted regardless of whether I used both my memory modules or one!)

The problem is that whenever I start playing games, like Crysis or Call of Duty 4, my system freezes (hangs) after like 15 to 20 minutes!!!!!! and I cant do anything.. it doesn't shut down.. just freezes... Otherwise, without running a game I can sit for hours and it works perfectly.... I cannot figure out what the problem is!!! all the voltages suppplied by the power supply are correct according to the BIOS. I cannot see nor feel any overheating even when I touch my mobo or other heatsinks. PLEase help.. suggest!!! i'm so worried, I spent a lot on this rig and i'm not that much of a rich person!!!

What are the idle and load temps for your CPU and GPU? Did you manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? It seems like an overheating problem since it takes a while playing a game before it freezes. You can't tell if something's overheating just by feeling the heatsink. An improperly seated heatsink will be cool because it isn't transferring any heat.

philanthropic1989

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

hey.. thanks for the reply ... :)
I used HWMonitor (latest version,, just downloaded a few days ago).. and idle temperatures of 3 cores are around 46, 47, 43 etc.. and one core is 36 (all temperature in degrees celcius)
during load i.e. playing crysis etc at high settings.. MAX temperature reached was 61 by one core only.. other cores are around 58 ..and one is around 50.
no. .i didn't set manual settings for RAM... its on auto in BIOS...
manufacturer says ram should work at 1.8 volts... i just checked a few hours ago and the ram was working at 1.9 volts in bios... i manually changed it to 1.8 (that was the min. allowed by the bios).. hoping that it'll solve the prob.. but no way.. the game freezed just like before!

i dont think its overheating... even the GPU is around 37 idle.. and at MAX load... doesn't cross the 71 degrees celcius point!.... stays mostly 70 degrees.

however.. there's one temperature by the name of SYSTIN temperature.. that idles around 86*C and max. during games around 91 and 92 degree celcius.. but i've checked on various forums etc.. and mostly ppl say that its a bug.