Sign in with
Your question

Bootable Recovery CD/DVD for Windows XP Pro SP2

Last response: in Windows XP
July 19, 2011 9:22:05 PM

Hello All,

I have one assembled PC running under Windows XP Pro SP2. Some important software are installed there. Due to Virus problem or, hard disk crash, everytime i have to install OS, followed by drivers (from motherboard manufacturer's original CD) and other related software. What is the procedure to create a BOOTABLE Unattended Recovery CD/DVD (as branded PC manufacturers supplie along with a new PC) to reinstall Windows XP Pro SP2, the drivers and other software without any trouble. Is it possible to create Bootable Recovery CD/DVD from newly installed OS along with drivers & software ?
If there is any possibility to do so, please instruct me how to do.

Thanks in advance,

Kaushik

More about : bootable recovery dvd windows pro sp2

July 19, 2011 9:42:43 PM

There is a function like that but only in windows 7, xp doesn't have such feature.

You will have to either make a custom DVD that will work for your machine or look for alternative 3rd party boot cds available on the web
m
l
July 19, 2011 10:08:23 PM

AntiZig said:
There is a function like that but only in windows 7, xp doesn't have such feature.

You will have to either make a custom DVD that will work for your machine or look for alternative 3rd party boot cds available on the web

Hello AntiZig,

What do u mean by "make a custom DVD", what is the procedure to make that? And what kind of 3rd parth boot cd should i search on the web? I saw in HP desktop PC that they have recovery cd for windwos xp.
How do they created that?

Kaushik
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2011 12:21:44 PM

Is your computer HP? If yes, you should contact them, they should be able to provide you with a recovery CD for your machine for a small fee. But I think you meant in your first post that you built it yourself.

Well, the way HP create recovery CD is basically they know what they have on their typical computer model. So, they put all the drivers needed on that one CD, they add the OS that was originally installed on the machine and boom you got a boot CD.

The trick is making your own boot CD you need to be rather computer savvy, as it requires some coding/computer scienece skills to get everything to run properly off that CD. Even to make the CD actually 'bootable' you need to add special files to it (boot.ini at least, I don't remember what else).

Third party boot CDs are typically CDs that might offer a windows installation plus other recovery tools that might be helpful when your computer is having problems. They won't include any drivers.

So, what you can do is try to copy all your drivers that you need to install to one CD so you have them accessible in one spot. I'm not sure if you can copy the windows installation CD to another CD and then add drivers directory in there. Another big issue I see is if you want to make the process more automated you will need to write a custom setup file that would run windows installation and then all the other needed installs in sequence. (I think there's tools available that allow you to streamline a creation of exe or msi file, but I haven't looked for those in 10 years)
m
l
!