Possible CPU / MOBO failure.

mont1uk

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Evening all, so I built my PC about 9months or so ago and ive run into some major trouble.

When i boot up the system fans spin up, i get the green lights on MOBO, but nothing else further, no beep, no post nothing. My GFX card fan spins up to full power, all system fans are on, PSU fan, HDD are spinning. It continues to spin away, it doesnt shutdown or anything.

Ive taken each part i can out and tried a replacement, i tried another PSU, another GFX card, switched the RAM about took some in / out, checked MOBO/PSU connections. So from what i can gather it must be the MOBO or the CPU. Like i say i dont get a beep or post / bios message so im thinking CPU. Before i go out and buy both has anyone had this problem before or has any knowledge that could help me out? Would really appreciate it.

System Spec :

E8500 Core 2 CPU
GF 8800GTS 512MB
Asus Maximus Formula
4GB OCZ Reaper RAM
3x WD HDD
Coolermaster 750W PSU

mont1uk

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah its all been fine for the last 9 months, did the usual checks for common stuff. I didnt have it OC'd no, i think the MOBO may still be under warranty but theres a 2nd edition the maximus out now or i might look at another brand. Like you im fairly sure its the MOBO.

mont1uk

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Just quick update, i dug out my LCD Poster u get with the maximus, it sticks on Detecting DRAM, so does this suggest a RAM problem? Ive tried each stick i have on its own and in different slots and it stays the same, surely all 4 sticks cant be wrong?

When you built the system, did you have to install different RAM to get it to boot? Is that the 1066Mhz version of the RAM?

If your BIOS reset, and the voltage requirement on the RAM is too high for the board to initially boot, then you might have to use a different stick of RAM to POST so you can manually up the voltage.

Likewise if you flashed the BIOS.

I know the RAM you have has a high voltage req, that's why it comes to mind. Otherwise it could just be a board error. Perhaps the memory controller on the board is gone.

mont1uk

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Its been in as default when i first built the system. Ive just tried a few sticks in different combinations and its up and running now, it seem one stick causes the problem, the other 3 are fine in any combo.

mont1uk

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah might have a look on scan and OC's see if theres anything going cheap, thanks for the input on this one.