Sign in with
Your question

Question about thermal paste on new cpu

Last response: in Systems
February 13, 2009 9:14:13 PM

So, I bought a q9400 to go into my new comp. I plan to use the stock heatsink/fan since I don't plan to overclock. I might later on buy a better heatsink/fan setup. I thought that thermal paste would come with the CPU, since I've been told it usually does. I opened it up and found none. I think it might already be pre-applied but I'm not sure. This picture is what my heat sink looks like, but with a bit more grey then what is shown.

Picture

Is the grey stuff thermal paste pre-applied? I'm pretty sure it is. If its not what is it? If it is, is that enough? Should I go buy some and put some on there?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2009 9:26:13 PM

the grey stuff on the heatsink is the paste .

you are good to go
February 14, 2009 2:12:13 AM

yup, your good !
Related resources
February 14, 2009 5:54:27 AM

I've never bought a CPU that came with any thermal compund. However, every heatsink I've ever purchased does come with it either pre-applied, or in a separate container.

The amount that is pre-applied is always a suggested amount, and usually works.

Personally I scrape it off, clean it with rubbing alcohol, and apply aftermarket compund.
February 14, 2009 10:21:08 PM

Well, when I meant I thought the CPU would come with it, I meant the whole setup, like the heatsink/fan and cpu with thermal paste somewhere. But thanks for the info, glad it is what it is. There is more applied to the heatsink I have than in that picture so I think it should be fine, now that I know what it is. Thanks!
!