Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Built new system with GA-X48-DS5. Continuously rebooting after post.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 18, 2009 12:08:05 AM

Specs:
Mobo: GA-X48-DS5
Ram: 2* 1GB Corsair + 2*1g g.skill ==> going to replace with 4*2GB. Misordered :) 
Vid: EVGA | 01G-P3-1180-AR GTX285 R
PWR: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC
PS: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

As the topic states, my new GA-X48-DS5 is frustrating me.

This is at least the 20th system I've built, and I've never seen anything like this. This is probably the least amount of hardware I've put into a system in a long time. (Removed SLI cards for new single powerful card, removed several old PATAs for a couple TB SATAs, etc).
Here are the symptoms:

I boot up. Post runs fine with one normal beep. Ram checks out and states my ram is interleaved.

I then do not get any messages for about 10-15 seconds, but during this period a beep that repeats every 10-15 seconds begins. I read in the manual that this is a power error, but I don't know how it could be. I have sufficient power and I am pretty sure that my power cables are set up properly. I'm not 100% sure if all the F_ cables are in the right spot, but I don't think that would cause this.

Finally, after my hard drives are detected (actually, one hard drive is missing from the list, perhaps a clue), my computer restarts as it reaches the DMI pool, I believe. Whatever comes right after detecting the hard drives--that's where my computer restarts. During this whole time the short beep is continuing every 10-15 seconds.

Ideas? I hate the have to take everything apart with no idea what's wrong again.

Thanks, Drew

I did just remove my old pata hard drive with my boot sector with this upgrade, but I dont see how that would force all these restarts and pre-hdd check beeps.

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
July 18, 2009 1:26:26 AM

I'm writing this on a Q9550 DS5 w/8G G.Skill 1066 @ 1080, a tenth volt under spec & two RAID0 pairs of VR150s, OS & swap - as close to telepathy as I've ever gotten an interface!

more pics: http://www.sevenforums.com/68978-post410.html

Need yet: new (anticipated) memory specs; drive list by connection type and location...

First order of business - lose the mis-matched Corsair RAM; use G.Skill until replacements arrive...

My experience with 'GB-friendliness' by manufacturer has been: mushkin - GBs love mushkin, but it's pricey, and the speed selection is limited; G.Skill - works well, has a functional EPP, and will usually also run at 'auto' settings, unless you run four sticks; OCZ - likewise; Kingston, Crucial, & Corsair - seem to account for most of the problems I see here with RAM (wich, of course, could possibly be due to the fact that more people buy them, as they're generally cheap), with Crucial having a few times had problems with apparent 'degrading' over time, i.e., a previously working OC simply 'goes bad', and MemTest86+ shows it to be RAM...

Pull any USB devices except keyboard. (Including rodent - don't need it in the BIOS!)
Most GB reboot loops are due to USB problems; other possibility: cooling problem - but unlikely, as it sometimes appears to stay on?

I have had numerous people swear to me here that they're sure they did the HSF install correctly, and then sheepishly come back to report either a pin loose, unlocked, or cracked... It's not inattention or incompetence, either - there seems to be a contest going on (but I think Intel's system wins hands down with their really crappy 'stock' 775 piece) to see who can design the worst, most impractical way to attach a heatsink! I've tried a few, and, with one exception, they all stank! (The exception: I finally bit the bullet and went to water - have a D-Tek Fuzion, and it came with: an 'x' shaped, threaded, metal backing plate with reinforcing ribs and a molded-on foam rubber insulating pad, and a spring-loaded set of screws with a machined release [not a single &^%$ ^%#@ plastic piece involved!] that lets you get to exactly the correct tension, and then simply turns without tightening further; the drawback - you have to have unimpeded access to the back of the MOBO; I've written D-Tek and told them they should quit wasting their time on water-blocks, and sell mounting systems to every HSF manufacturer!)

IMHO, the best feature of GB's 'ultra-durable' MOBOs (which is, otherwise, a bunch of ditzy marketing hype - '50 degrees C cooler'? - I'm pretty sure that if anything on my MOBO was 50 cooler, there'd be frost forming on it!) is that they'll take enough pressure to get an HSF seated without giving you the ominous feeling that you're a half-ounce of pressure away from a dreadful, fatal snap! Another point to be made is procedure: it's usually easier to 'work your way' around the chip, but, for the best results, you want to do a pair of diagonally opposed pins first, and then finish up with the other two...

Ahh, I diverge... back to procedural list:

place one stick of RAM in slot 'DDRII1" (closest to the CPU)...
Power up, hit <DEL> to enter the BIOS, select "Load Optimized Defaults":

Reboot, hit <DEL> to enter the BIOS, select "Advanced BIOS Features" page;
Set "CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" and "CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled";
select "First Boot Device" and set to "CDROM";
exit back to the main BIOS page, select "Integrated Peripherals" page;
set "Legacy USB storage detect" to "Disabled"
load the CD we made above into the drive;
do an <F10> BIOS "Save & Exit";
on the reboot, MemTest will run and check your stick of memory...

Let it run at least one complete pass;
if it fails - you've found your problem;
if it passes, power down, remove the stick of RAM and replace it with the other one;
power up and run MemTest as above...

If they both test OK:
power up, again hit <DEL> to enter the BIOS again, select "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page;
set "Robust Graphics Booster to "Auto"
set "Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
set "System Voltage Control" to "Manual"
set "DR2 OverVoltage Control" to "voltage spec for the G.Skill"
set "(G)MCH OverVoltage Control" to "+0.1"
do an <F10> BIOS "Save & Exit";
power down;
re-install your RAM;
power up;
(hopefully) should work at this point...

July 18, 2009 2:03:22 AM

Thanks for the help, but I decided the mobo was beyond help when it failed to even power on a moment ago.

There's nothing I can do when the thing doesn't even power on. My last mobo is still powering on fine, so it isn't my psu.

RMAing this junk before it's too late.
!