blang86

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hi,

I just finished my liquid cooling installation. Everything was going well until I found a small leak from my reservoir. I have the Swiftech Micro Res.2. The barbs are in pretty tight - and the leak is definitely coming from the barb-res connection (not from the tubing). I'm thinking there's either a bad o-ring or more likely, a bad reservoir. I've had nothing but problems with this reservoir and I wouldn't recommend it, but I digress.

My question is, I spent enough time and money on this project. I really don't want to buy another reservoir or waste more time waiting for a replacement. The leak is very tiny so I simply covered the area with silicon sealant. How bad of an idea was this? My plan was for it to hold until I clean it 6 - 12 months later. By then, I'd probably just buy an EK reservoir to replace it and bite the bullet on this one. How long do you guys think my band-aid fix will last?

Thanks!

Solution
make sure there is no pressure on the system when you are sealing it and if you REALLY want it make sure it wont leak then take both barbs out, throw some silicone in the threads, put the barbs back in, and let it sit for at least 24 hours before reinstalling it into your loop.

i used a rubberized thread seal from ace hardware and i never have any problems. the stuff im using is rated up to like 100psi or something like that =) its pretty awsome stuff.

those o-rings that alot of the companies sell are really cheap o-rings. go to a hardware store and buy yourself some better grade orings that wont leak on ya and back that up again with the thread seal and you should never leak.
You probably over tightened the barbs. I and a LOT of other people have use the Micro res with out problems, if you head over to a WCing Fourum like at OCF, you'll see what I mean. Your fix should last a while depending on application method, what type of silicone,etc.

blang86

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
That may be. I'm still not pleased with the reservoir. I also snapped one of the "ears" trying to mount the bracket according to the instruction manual. I found some generic silicone sealant that was recommended for aquariums.

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
make sure there is no pressure on the system when you are sealing it and if you REALLY want it make sure it wont leak then take both barbs out, throw some silicone in the threads, put the barbs back in, and let it sit for at least 24 hours before reinstalling it into your loop.

i used a rubberized thread seal from ace hardware and i never have any problems. the stuff im using is rated up to like 100psi or something like that =) its pretty awsome stuff.

those o-rings that alot of the companies sell are really cheap o-rings. go to a hardware store and buy yourself some better grade orings that wont leak on ya and back that up again with the thread seal and you should never leak.

Solution

blang86

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Ok thanks i4yue, I'll look into how much pressure this brand of sealant can hold.