GTX 295 - Questions

boomer2020

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Hi, I have recently decided to custom build my first system had a couple questions about the Nvidia GTX 295.

1. Is it worth geting a motherboard with SLI so that down the road I can add another card to increase my performance rather than buying a whole new card?

2. I heard that the EVGA brand GTX 295 comes without a back plate and that its an extra order part, this plate is not really needed, right?

3. Any recommendations on motherboards? I'll be runing with an AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.0 Processor.

Thanks for the help!

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
1. Yes - There will be more support for multi-GPU setups down the road (supposedly with D3D 11). Also a good enthusiast board will include either SLI or XFire functionality anyway.

2. This will be for heat dissipation, I would monitor your system temps and then decide whether to add the back plate (if not already installed)

3. Since you are going to do SLI you should get a board with a 780a chipset.
Just double check the specs on the manufacturers webpage to be sure it will accept a Phenom II. The board should have an onboard geforce 8 GPU, you may be able to use this chip to accelerate PhysX.

Things to consider:
If you decide to upgrade to the AM3 platform in the near future you will not be able to use your CPU or DDR2 , making your upgrade options more expensive.

boomer2020

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009

Yea, thats the motherboard I was really looking at but I wasn't sure because it had 3 way sli ready which I wasn't sure if it would affect the regular sli or if it was just overkill and If the 750a was the same just with regular SLI not 3 way sli.