Keyboard/Mouse (Any usb device) won't work on PC

TheMeltingSnowman

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Hi, While trying to fix mom's desktop to stop the screen jerking instead of scrolling smoothly, I found it was a driver issue, so put the drivers and utilities cd that came with her winxp to see if that would do the trick. After boot all that comes up is a box saying:

'RTHDCPL.EXE Illegal sysytem DLL relocation'
"The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in
memory. The application will not run
properly. The relocation occured because the
DLL C:\WINDOWS\syste32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an
address range reserved for Windows system
DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL contacted
for a new DLL."

Now, the problem is, the keyboard, mouse, nothing at all via USB will work, although they will work in BIOS (Of which I know nothing about). I've tried safe mode, last known config, everything, but am having no joy at all. I need stuff of my moms off there before doing a factory restore. Is there anyway around this at all? I was wondering if I could get into the command promt and do a system restore, or is that the same as 'Last known configuration'?

I've been scouring the internet for hours looking for a solution for this problem, but can't quite seem to find anything that fits my circumstances.
Thanks in advance,
Gregor

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
You could get a PS/2 keyboard or adapter, boot with Safe Mode and then try using a Restore Point. Also, some manufacturers give you the option to do a 'non-destructive' restore that restores the OS, but leaves your personal files intact. If nothing else, you could put the hard drive in an external enclosure, then access your files with another computer and put them on a CD.