Your question
Solved

Blown cap?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 29, 2010 3:46:27 AM

Does this cap look blown, or am I just overly hopeful I have found the problem. There does seem to be a noticable bump, but it dosn't appear to be fully blown open.

It's just right of the nb in the pic below, and you can see others on the board in this pic too.

More about : blown cap

August 29, 2010 3:47:24 AM

if you click on them you can see the full size pics.
m
l

Best solution

a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 30, 2010 2:42:03 AM

The 2nd pic in particular definitely looks like a blown cap.Judging by the top bulge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
Related resources
August 30, 2010 2:51:27 AM

Thank you! I've never come across one before and I just wanted to see if anyone could verify this too. It definitely feels rounded at the top compared to a few others too.

The computer this works to seems to operate other then if you put in a PCI-e gfx card, there will be a lot of artifacts on the screen and sometimes it crashes. Does this seem a feasible culprit.
m
l
August 30, 2010 3:00:28 AM

Best answer selected by jrhii.
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 30, 2010 11:27:35 AM

jrhii said:
Thank you! I've never come across one before and I just wanted to see if anyone could verify this too. It definitely feels rounded at the top compared to a few others too.

The computer this works to seems to operate other then if you put in a PCI-e gfx card, there will be a lot of artifacts on the screen and sometimes it crashes. Does this seem a feasible culprit.

Definitely if you read the symptoms section in the link i posted your gpu problem is referred to.
Unfortunately the whole system will suffer instability over time.
m
l
!