University: Short on initial impressions

It's very different from what I thought it'd be! But I still like it!
It's like others have said... sort of a mini-game within the game, but
it DOES have a substantial impact on life after university as well...
however, sending ALL your sims to university may turn out to be a real
chore, if your sims have as many kids as mine do, and you have many
generations. Going through the college experience in University can be
quite taxing, even with a single sim... at least it seems that way to
me right now. Once I get it more streamlined how to achieve good
grades etc. easy perhaps I'll send more than one sim at a time.

About object incompatability... the ones that dont work pulsate with a
blue and black light. A very nice touch, making it easy to identify
incompatible objects and delete or change them with the design-tool.
In other words, don't delete your downloads, just your hacks, and make
sure their creators update them for university.

That's all for now... more to come :-)
13 answers Last reply
More about university short initial impressions

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:21:40 +0100, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    More observations...
    *Gameplay smoother... much smoother.
    *Pathfinding has changed at least slightly.
    *Some interactions make more sense. You can now for instance click on
    the bed and choose sleep even if the sim is relaxing on it etc.

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:29:33 +0100, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:21:40 +0100, Guardian Pegasus
    ><nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >More observations...
    >*Gameplay smoother... much smoother.
    >*Pathfinding has changed at least slightly.
    >*Some interactions make more sense. You can now for instance click on
    >the bed and choose sleep even if the sim is relaxing on it etc.

    Two more things...

    One... I LOVE the counterfiting machine! My sim made 400 simoleons in
    a couple of hours with little or no work. And two, the automatic water
    sprinkler is a MUST have! Especially since the counterfiting machine
    can catch fire lol... strangely it doesnt ruin the money you're
    printing though!

    "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > It's very different from what I thought it'd be! But I still like it!
    > It's like others have said... sort of a mini-game within the game, but
    > it DOES have a substantial impact on life after university as well...
    > however, sending ALL your sims to university may turn out to be a real
    > chore, if your sims have as many kids as mine do, and you have many
    > generations. Going through the college experience in University can be
    > quite taxing, even with a single sim... at least it seems that way to
    > me right now. Once I get it more streamlined how to achieve good
    > grades etc. easy perhaps I'll send more than one sim at a time.
    >
    > About object incompatability... the ones that dont work pulsate with a
    > blue and black light. A very nice touch, making it easy to identify
    > incompatible objects and delete or change them with the design-tool.
    > In other words, don't delete your downloads, just your hacks, and make
    > sure their creators update them for university.
    >
    > That's all for now... more to come :-)

    Oh he's BAAAAAACKK!!! Nice to see you posting Guardian, I did miss
    you while you were away! I know you've been back and posting but for
    some reason,
    when you posted this, it reminded me of back in September when Sims 2
    first came out, and
    you were posting and telling us all about it. I enjoyed it! :)

    .....B

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:

    > About object incompatability... the ones that dont work
    > pulsate with a blue and black light. A very nice touch,
    > making it easy to identify incompatible objects and
    > delete or change them with the design-tool.

    Change them, how?

    T. <wanting to be well prepared>

    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >It's very different from what I thought it'd be! But I still like it!
    >It's like others have said... sort of a mini-game within the game, but
    >it DOES have a substantial impact on life after university as well...
    >however, sending ALL your sims to university may turn out to be a real
    >chore, if your sims have as many kids as mine do, and you have many
    >generations. Going through the college experience in University can be
    >quite taxing, even with a single sim... at least it seems that way to
    >me right now. Once I get it more streamlined how to achieve good
    >grades etc. easy perhaps I'll send more than one sim at a time.

    To get good grades
    1) Coming in with appropriate skills as a teen is a plus, although
    not required. If you don't know what to shoot for, get skill 1 in
    every skill as every major requires at least 1 in every skill. If
    you're considering anything that uses Body, get as much as you can
    before you start, working out is punishing to your needs. If you're
    going for a Greek House, get 2-3 in cooking so they don't set the
    stove on fire. Dorms serve food 20 hours a day, but every now and
    then the students will still try to microwave Ramen or something so at
    least one cooking point for everyone is a good idea.

    2) Get a friend your first day, so you can have up to 4,000
    influence, enough to get somone to do a term paper for you.

    3) Get on the Dean's List, max that easy Freshman first term, use
    the influence you get from that to have someone do your term paper
    while you use the free time to knock out at least one assignment.

    4) Attend all your classes.

    5) If you haven't still maxed your schoolwork bar, do another
    assignment. If you only need a little bit, do some research at a
    bookcase.

    You should be making the Dean's List every time and having other
    people crank out your term papers while you use the extra time to
    increase skills or do assignments.

    The schoolwork bar is not like the promotion bar, your mood doesn't
    matter; good mood or bad you still make progress towards that high
    grade. Make your sims go if you have to, for the 2-3 hours that their
    class will take, they will get more progress towards an A+ there than
    by doing anything they could do outside of class. Remember, classes
    are optional, you won't lose anything by missing them. If you max out
    your schoolwork bar early, you can blow off that last class and work
    on a skill instead. If you're always blowing off that last class,
    you're probably doing too many assignments.

    Extra credit: You can go late to classes and still get good
    benefits, this isn't like work where you're either on the dot or miss
    work for the day. I've had sims run for class 15-20 minutes after the
    class started (and not 20 minutes from the hour early they try to
    leave, I'm talkiing about leaving at 4:20 for a 4:00 class) and still
    make it. Your sims will cue up an action to off to class one hour
    before it starts, if they are doing something important, go ahead and
    let them finish as much as they can before they go.

    Other tips:
    If the house or dorm doesn't have a chessboard, buy one. Playing
    chess is far superior to using a telescope to increase logic since you
    can play with someone else and not only increase logic for two people,
    you can increase that important social score at the same time.

    If you need a good fun boost, have one person start to play SSX3 on
    the computer and then have a second person go to another computer and
    "Join LAN Party", it's more fun for both people than SSX3 by itself.

    Forget trips off site for things like the library or gym, the clock
    doesn't stop running just because you're off somewhere else. Get that
    bookcase and/or workout equipment for your House or Dorm as soon as
    you can. A bookcase is nearly indispensable for research, Cooking,
    Mechanical and Cleaning. Anyone can work out in front of a TV, but
    you might want some actual exercise equipment if you're considering a
    major with a high body requirement.

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:10:56 +0100, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

    >Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    >
    >> About object incompatability... the ones that dont work
    >> pulsate with a blue and black light. A very nice touch,
    >> making it easy to identify incompatible objects and
    >> delete or change them with the design-tool.
    >
    >Change them, how?

    If they're recolors, you can change them back to the original. If not,
    you can just plain delete them, reimberse your sim with kaching, and
    buy a substitute.

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:54:31 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > 5) If you haven't still maxed your schoolwork bar, do another
    >assignment. If you only need a little bit, do some research at a
    >bookcase.

    It seems to me you can do as many as you want... right?

    > The schoolwork bar is not like the promotion bar, your mood doesn't
    >matter; good mood or bad you still make progress towards that high

    Ah... I was wondering about that.

    >by doing anything they could do outside of class. Remember, classes
    >are optional, you won't lose anything by missing them. If you max out
    >your schoolwork bar early, you can blow off that last class and work

    I'll try that!

    > Other tips:
    > If the house or dorm doesn't have a chessboard, buy one. Playing
    >chess is far superior to using a telescope to increase logic since you
    >can play with someone else and not only increase logic for two people,
    >you can increase that important social score at the same time.

    And you don't have to worry about abductions, or angry neighbours...
    if that applies to college towns I dunno yet though.

    Love all the tips Mr Bravo, thanks! :-)

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:54:31 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    > <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >> 5) If you haven't still maxed your schoolwork bar, do another
    >>assignment. If you only need a little bit, do some research at a
    >>bookcase.
    >

    > It seems to me you can do as many as you want... right?
    >

    >> The schoolwork bar is not like the promotion bar, your mood doesn't
    >>matter; good mood or bad you still make progress towards that high
    >

    > Ah... I was wondering about that.
    >

    >>by doing anything they could do outside of class. Remember, classes
    >>are optional, you won't lose anything by missing them. If you max out
    >>your schoolwork bar early, you can blow off that last class and work
    >

    > I'll try that!
    >

    >> Other tips:
    >> If the house or dorm doesn't have a chessboard, buy one. Playing
    >>chess is far superior to using a telescope to increase logic since you
    >>can play with someone else and not only increase logic for two people,
    >>you can increase that important social score at the same time.
    >

    > And you don't have to worry about abductions, or angry neighbours...
    > if that applies to college towns I dunno yet though.
    >
    > Love all the tips Mr Bravo, thanks! :-)
    ==
    That's the main way my sim makes her friends

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:47:08 -0600, "Jay&B" <someplace@nowhere.net>
    wrote:

    >Oh he's BAAAAAACKK!!! Nice to see you posting Guardian, I did miss

    LOL

    >you while you were away! I know you've been back and posting but for
    >some reason,
    >when you posted this, it reminded me of back in September when Sims 2
    >first came out, and
    >you were posting and telling us all about it. I enjoyed it! :)

    Aww shucks... thank you... I don't know... I just have trouble
    containing my enthusiasm!

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:01:55 +0100, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:54:31 GMT, Johnny Bravo
    ><baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> 5) If you haven't still maxed your schoolwork bar, do another
    >>assignment. If you only need a little bit, do some research at a
    >>bookcase.
    >
    >It seems to me you can do as many as you want... right?

    Yes.

    >> Other tips:
    >> If the house or dorm doesn't have a chessboard, buy one. Playing
    >>chess is far superior to using a telescope to increase logic since you
    >>can play with someone else and not only increase logic for two people,
    >>you can increase that important social score at the same time.
    >
    >And you don't have to worry about abductions, or angry neighbours...
    >if that applies to college towns I dunno yet though.

    Haven't seen either, although the dorm doesn't come with the big
    telescope. Haven't seen a thief either. :)

    >Love all the tips Mr Bravo, thanks! :-)

    You're welcome.
    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:16:24 -0800, JulyRaine <JulyRaine@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >That's the main way my sim makes her friends

    Talk->Hang out... easiest way to make friends :-)

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:32:34 +0100, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:10:56 +0100, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    >>Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    >>
    >>> About object incompatability... the ones that dont work
    >>> pulsate with a blue and black light. A very nice touch,
    >>> making it easy to identify incompatible objects and
    >>> delete or change them with the design-tool.
    >>
    >>Change them, how?
    >
    >If they're recolors, you can change them back to the original. If not,
    >you can just plain delete them, reimberse your sim with kaching, and
    >buy a substitute.

    SimPE fixes them....the latest version.

    SF

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:11:24 GMT, SIMper Fi <4ever@faithful.org>
    wrote:

    >SimPE fixes them....the latest version.

    Hmm, I'm too lazy to fix 99% of them... there are just too many lol

Sims Games Video Games