Need duel boot winxp &win98

I formatted a secondary drive that will be installed on
an old computer & will run win98. NOW I know that win98
can't run under NTFS and I don't recall having a choice
when I formatted. When I installed drive to old computer,
it recognizes the drive is there while booting up, but
hangs up at " NTLDR not found " I tried FDISC and tried
to reformat while drive is in old computer, but I can't.
I thought about putting drive back in main computer &
reformatting again, but how can I put fat32 on that drive
& not mess up main system?
Thanks for any help! Kids are going crazy cause I won't
let them on my system!!!

Audrey
2 answers Last reply
More about need duel boot winxp win98

    Go to www.bootdisk.com, if necessary, and download files to make a boot
    disk. For FAT 32 it should be 98, or SE, or ME. Use it to boot your old
    computer. Run FDISK from the floppy to set up the harddrive. Make sure you
    activate the primary partition. Reboot using the floppy and format the drive
    using format c: /s to put the system files on it so it's bootable.

    "Auderey" <audrey22@myway.com> wrote in message
    > I formatted a secondary drive that will be installed on
    > an old computer & will run win98. NOW I know that win98
    > can't run under NTFS and I don't recall having a choice
    > when I formatted. When I installed drive to old computer,
    > it recognizes the drive is there while booting up, but
    > hangs up at " NTLDR not found " I tried FDISC and tried
    > to reformat while drive is in old computer, but I can't.
    > I thought about putting drive back in main computer &
    > reformatting again, but how can I put fat32 on that drive
    > & not mess up main system?
    > Thanks for any help! Kids are going crazy cause I won't
    > let them on my system!!!
    >
    > Audrey

    The message about "NTLDR not found" indicates that you have a disk
    formatted in a WinXP system for NTFS. It is trying to boot WinXP. When
    you say you tried to use FDISK to format but couldn't, what do you
    mean? Is there no FDISK available or you can't see the partitions, or
    what? If there is no FDISK, you could boot up with a Win98 boot floppy
    and use FDISK on the floppy to partition and format the HD. In any
    case you should be able to put the drive in your "main" computer and
    format for FAT32. Or maybe the option is to format for DOS. If you
    just accept a default format while in WinXP, you will get a disk with
    a WinXP boot sector.

    Regards, hawk

    Auderey wrote:

    > I formatted a secondary drive that will be installed on
    > an old computer & will run win98. NOW I know that win98
    > can't run under NTFS and I don't recall having a choice
    > when I formatted. When I installed drive to old computer,
    > it recognizes the drive is there while booting up, but
    > hangs up at " NTLDR not found " I tried FDISC and tried
    > to reformat while drive is in old computer, but I can't.
    > I thought about putting drive back in main computer &
    > reformatting again, but how can I put fat32 on that drive
    > & not mess up main system?
    > Thanks for any help! Kids are going crazy cause I won't
    > let them on my system!!!
    >
    > Audrey

Configuration Computers Windows XP