ASUS M3A-h/HDMI Powers up, won't post.

Flepore

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
So I went to restart my computer one day and it wouldn't turn on. The motherboard got no power )no fans, no lights, nothing) and the green LED wouldn't come on. I had a feeling it was the motherboard as it was the second time this one had died on me. I jumped the power supply with a paper clip and it turned on, along with the Optical drive and the two hard drives and the fan on the CPU. So it appeared those were working fine.

I sent the board off to be RMAed, and I just got the replacement back today. I reinstalled everything, and this time I get power, but I get no beeps, and the board won't post. The drives all run, and the CPU fan spins as well as all the fans in the case and the video card. The green LED even comes on.

I've tried removing the battery, removing every component aside from the CPU, and clearing CMOS. Still nothing. Power, but no beeps or post.

One time while I was turning on the machine I heard a small pop and experienced a burnt smell and the board shut off. It started up in about a minute when I tried again and I thought it might have been the speaker burning out, but nonetheless the baord still won't post and still power's everything up.

Does anyone have any idea what this sounds like? Could this be the board (it is refurbished) or something else? My system specs should be located in my signature for reference.

This is my first post here and I thank anyone in advance for any assistance they may offer.

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Can you boot off the (windows) install disk? OK, that was just a wild shot.... :pfff:

I would start RMA two.

If you don't like to give up that easily then
■Tell us which mobo is having the problem; it's hard to offer specific help w/o this
■Do you have a multi-meter?
■Check to see if your mobo has a fuse; if so, replace it
■Check the power cable(s) to the mobo; are they connected? Are they good (e.g. use that mult-meter)?

Another option is StarTech PCI Post Diagnostics Test Card Model PCIPOST for $45 at newegg. Of course, the mobo would have to have power for this to work.

Flepore

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
What do you mean by "which mobo?"

Otherwise all the power cables are connected and working as indicated by all the components getting power through the motherboard. Like I said, everything powers up (hard drivers, optical drivers, CPU fan, videocard and motherboard), it just won't post or beep.

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

By "which mobo" I mean which brand/model is your motherboard? E.g. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2.

If the mobo powers up then your best bet is to use that post diagnostic card that I suggested. Or take it to a shop that has one.

Flepore

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I tried with both 1 stick and 2 sticks, even with no sticks, with and without video card, and with no other components connected. Nothing. The green LED coming on every time is really frustrating though.

I just don't want to RMA this one too, after a day, and get ANOTHER refurb. It's like playing motherboard roulette.