Best storage situation for gaming. (I'm sure this has been asked b4)

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I am a newb at computer building. I am hoping for some information on excellent storage options for a high quality gaming rig.

Solution
I have recently built a computer (gaming mostly) with 2 samsung f3 1TB in raid 0 which i use for basically everything except my most used applications and a ssd for boot drive.
If you like starting your computer real quick/start games quick you should think about an ssd. Most people still won't get them due to their steep price. It would be cheaper to do what decode wrote.

noob language (i hope)
Get 2 of the same 500GB drives eg. 2xsamsung f3 HD502HJ (7200rpm, single platter). set them up in a raid 0 array. use this for a boot drive and games. Then get a 3rd drive thats higher capacity 2tb drive perhaps a cheaper WD green drive for storage.
Doing this will give you 3TB of storage and still be plenty fast for most people. It will also...

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Keeping in mind that you can RAID and array 0? of Sata II/III Drives for a cheap price/performance/storage combo, 2x 500GB's for the main HDD and another 1 or so 1tb+ HDD's for storage, You'd probably still come in cheaper than 1 good SSD

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

explain in noob language plz

randomizer

Champion
SSDs are useless for gaming except to reduce load times. Use a platter HDD for storage and use an SSD for your OS and regularly used/started applications like web browsers, email clients, etc. Unless you start the same game 10 times a day you're not going to see the benefits outweigh the wasted space (which is precious on an SSD).

scrice

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I have recently built a computer (gaming mostly) with 2 samsung f3 1TB in raid 0 which i use for basically everything except my most used applications and a ssd for boot drive.
If you like starting your computer real quick/start games quick you should think about an ssd. Most people still won't get them due to their steep price. It would be cheaper to do what decode wrote.

noob language (i hope)
Get 2 of the same 500GB drives eg. 2xsamsung f3 HD502HJ (7200rpm, single platter). set them up in a raid 0 array. use this for a boot drive and games. Then get a 3rd drive thats higher capacity 2tb drive perhaps a cheaper WD green drive for storage.
Doing this will give you 3TB of storage and still be plenty fast for most people. It will also cost about half the price of a good reasonable capacity ssd.
If you want more detail just say.

Solution

Storage is important, but for a high quality gaming rig you'll need a sufficient amount of system memory, the game loads into the memory and the HDD is cruising after that, I'd suggest 4G or greater of system memory, then any good quality platter HDD will be sufficient to play whatever you want.

If that's what the guy has budgeted and is willing to spend his money on, but I'm running Seagate 500G SATA IIs with 4G of system memory and have no problems playing any games I have.

What makes you think VelociRaptor or SSD's are necessary for playing games?

It may load the game into memory faster, but once the game is loaded into memory, its impact is really minute.

Now the OP did ask for advice on excellent storage options, but he also claims to be a newb to computer building, maybe he doesn't realize an SSD or VelociRaptor is not necessary for a great gaming machine, if he invests on a sufficient amount of system memory.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
^ Why do you want one to get 6, 8, or 12 gig ram? when 4 is fine? That's useless dude. sp. in ddr2 systems.

well then re phrasing your answer or word "good quality" should be in order eh? All the hdd's are good quality. Its wd black, velociRaptor and SSD's which get the cake of being much better than others.

and i from no angle support, specially looking at per gB costs of ssd, to put anything except OS on it. games can work in as you said even a good quality hdd.

and OP sated high quality gaming rig. *yawns*...

TRENDING THREADS