Sign in with
Your question

Cannot update P5K BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
July 18, 2009 4:57:55 PM

I’m having trouble updating the BIOS on my P5K.

I purchased a Q9550 CPU. My motherboard is an ASUS P5K running BIOS version 0603. There are 5 later releases, all of which were updates for new CPUs, so I suspect I will need these updates.

I have tried 1 approaches:

First I followed the procedure on this page titled Using ASUS EZ Flash to Update BIOS.
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldoc...

I get into the stated utility and wait for it to read the directory on A. I then tab over and click on the .ROM file name. It returns an error “error occurred when reading the file”.

---------------------------------

Next, from the same ASUS support page I downloaded the AFLASH.EXE file, unzipped it, and placed it on a bootable floppy. Then I copied the .ROM file to another floppy (insufficient space on the first floppy).

Then I boot from the floppy and get an A:/ prompt. I run aflash and get an error "can't find System BIOS' Hook."

---------------------------------

Any idea how to overcome this, or an alternate procedure?

More about : update p5k bios

July 18, 2009 6:30:36 PM

well, this just gets better and better.

I found a program on the CD that came with the motherboard. It allowed me to update the BIOS. The screen instructions asked me to reboot which I did.

On reboot the options for F1 (enter setup) and F2 (load defaults and boot). I took option 2.

It booted and seemed to be ok. I powered down so I could perform a col reboot, and I intended to Alt/F2 so I could view the current BIOS in their flash program.

Now I cannot power up the system. I see a green LED on the mobo but pressing the power button has no results.

What now?

The pisser is that I just bought this new Q9550 and had already opened it as I was preparing to install it today. Newegg has a "exchange only" policy. If I have to buy a new mobo, can I buy one sans-CPU so that at least the cost of the new CPU is not lost?

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 217 V Motherboard
July 18, 2009 9:47:54 PM

Power off the PSU (or disconnect it) for a couple minutes and power it on. Then try to power up the PC. If that doesn't work, then reset the CMOS.
Related resources
July 18, 2009 10:13:00 PM

Did that already.

I will go google "reset the CMOS" but if you can direct me, please do. Thanks.
July 18, 2009 10:13:59 PM

ok, just found this. is this the correct procedure?
http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

ok, this is really awful. I found a diagram of the board.

Just above the clrtc jumper there is a block titled "panel" where a bunch of little plugs are attached. To even see the jumper, much less grab it, I had to pull a plug off of "panel", and along with that came others. Do those go back on in any particular order?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 217 V Motherboard
July 18, 2009 11:39:23 PM

All you had to do is follow the procedure in your manual; you didn't have to remove any wires. Put them back the way they were; the info is in your manual. You probably shouldn't try to upgrade the CPU if you don't know about clearing the CMOS.
July 18, 2009 11:52:45 PM

GhislainG said:
You probably shouldn't try to upgrade the CPU if you don't know about clearing the CMOS.

That may be a valid point and I'll consider it seriously, and will very like haul the system to a shop for that. For the moment though, I need to decide if it is necessary to order a new BIOS chip, or if clearing CMOS will get me past the immediate problem.

Unfortunately, due to the proximity of the wires to the jumper, pulling a couple wires was not avoidable. VERY crowded. I even pulled the drive bay out to make room.

With that said, the manual states that the system panel connector (20-8-pin PANEL) is used to connect these:
- system power
- hard disk drive activity LED
- system warnihng speaker
- ATX power button/soft-off button
- reset button

I also see a plug labeled ground.

Am I safe to generally plug them in to that connector, or is there likely defined positions on the plug where they go?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 217 V Motherboard
July 19, 2009 12:16:49 AM

Switches will work either way. LEDs will not work if plugged incorrectly. Reverse them if they don't light up.
July 19, 2009 12:25:40 AM

ok, not successful. I'll just take it to the shop. thanks.
July 19, 2009 12:27:27 AM

what is odd, btw, is that it looked like it worked. when I plugged it in and hit the power switch the drives began to run. Then it all just powered down again. ANy thoughts?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 217 V Motherboard
July 19, 2009 1:29:51 AM

If all wires are properly connected, then you have another issue, but it's difficult to test a system without spare parts. It could be the PSU, the video card, etc.
July 19, 2009 2:04:27 AM

You've been very kind to help. Thank you.
!