Sign in with
Your question

Urgent Network Setup Help!

Last response: in Toms Network
Anonymous
October 20, 2010 1:12:17 AM

Hi, I have a Livebox router and i need to connect a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router to it in the basement 2 floors down to have internet access, i ran a CAT6 cable in the walls all the way down to the basement to connect it to the Linksys router, i plugged the CAT6 cable in the RED ethernet port on the livebox to one of the ethernet ports on the Linksys and set the configuration on the Linksys router to Automatic Configuration - DHCP, the connection comes and goes, but when it comes any other computer connected to the Livebox drops the connection to the internet.

what i want exactly is this... I want to connect to the Linksys router in the basement wired and wireless with any number of computers, and i want at the same time to connect to the Livebox router wired and wireless with any number if computers.

some questions:
1- is the cable configuration right?
2- what IP addresses should i use in both routers?
3- is there any problem using the CAT6 cable?
4- can i have a constant connection on all connected computers on both routers at the same time, wired and wireless?
5- what should i change in the configurations on both routers?

help is much appreciated

More about : urgent network setup

October 21, 2010 4:54:01 AM

turn off the DHCP in the Linksys router and change the LAN IP to end in .254

so if your internal IP of the Livebox is 192.168.1.1 make the IP for the Linksys 192.168.1.254

also configure the Linksys wireless security to match the Livebox.

then connect your CAT6 from the Livebox the one for the four network port of the Linksys
m
l
!