Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTS/X 250/260 or ATi 4890/5770?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 29, 2010 11:07:14 PM

Hey guys, I'm planning on replacing my current 9800gt 1gb...

I was thinking of a GTS 250 green(power efficient) GTX 260(performance) ATi 4890(budgeted performance) ATi 5770(still budgeted performance? i think lol)

I also have a cheapo 500W PSU...should i get a new one?

I haven't owned an ATi card since the AGP days so...I don't know much about the new ATi cards..Some say the drivers are ***, I don't know..which of the 4 cards should I get?

please place your comment on which card and why..thanks..
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 29, 2010 11:43:51 PM

The 5770 is the least power hungry of those options, and will be the least likely to require a PSU upgrade, though all of your options may need a new PSU, depending on how cheap yours is.
m
0
l
August 29, 2010 11:45:17 PM

The 4890 is the highest performance, the 5770 is slightly less powerful than the 260gtx but has DX11, and the gts 250 is the slowest(But you may not have to buy a new PSU if you get this green edition, which is probably less powerful than the regular one).

I would get a new 450w-500w PSU from Corsair, Silverstone ect.

If you can afford it, I would say none of these cards and go up to a gtx 460 1gb or 768mb. However, if not I would look at this 5770:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's $130, comes with a free game and is going to be cheaper than the gtx 260s you find and comparable in price to the gts 250.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2010 2:35:06 AM

duk3 said:
The 4890 is the highest performance, the 5770 is slightly less powerful than the 260gtx but has DX11, and the gts 250 is the slowest(But you may not have to buy a new PSU if you get this green edition, which is probably less powerful than the regular one).

I would get a new 450w-500w PSU from Corsair, Silverstone ect.

If you can afford it, I would say none of these cards and go up to a gtx 460 1gb or 768mb. However, if not I would look at this 5770:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's $130, comes with a free game and is going to be cheaper than the gtx 260s you find and comparable in price to the gts 250.


+1! Overall, I think the 5770 is the wisest choice of the bunch, but if you can spend a little bit more, go for the GTX 460 for sure.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2010 10:57:17 PM

Well some of the antec PSUs are actually great, not all of Antec's PSUs are bad. I mean some like the Neo Eco series which are not only 80+ and cheap but are actually made from Seasonic, Antec actually has some great cheap psu's cheaper than Corsair or Silverstone that are rebranded Seasonics for much cheaper.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2010 11:45:18 PM

aznshinobi said:
Well some of the antec PSUs are actually great, not all of Antec's PSUs are bad. I mean some like the Neo Eco series which are not only 80+ and cheap but are actually made from Seasonic, Antec actually has some great cheap psu's cheaper than Corsair or Silverstone that are rebranded Seasonics for much cheaper.

And Seasonic PSUs are usually pretty solid *cough* I use a Seasonic SS-650HT, and it has handled my OC'd 965BE and OC'd 4870s without a hiccup.
m
0
l
September 16, 2010 10:07:46 AM

Hi all i noticed the thread had GTS named with the title so don't want to make a new thread,lol.

Do you think the GTS 450 would be good enough for gaming?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 3:24:11 AM

Jonathern said:
Hi all i noticed the thread had GTS named with the title so don't want to make a new thread,lol.

Do you think the GTS 450 would be good enough for gaming?


Being as the 450 has not yet be thoroughly benched or reviewed, it is hard to give a solid ansewr, but early indications are that it performs at a similar level to the GTX260, which in itself is still a very solid gaming card for 1920x1080 or lower resolutions.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 3:38:42 AM

I heard many people judging by THG's 450 SLI review that the performance vs a single 450, it wasn't exactly impressive. I'd actually rather get a 5750 or 5770, since some 5770 on Newegg discounted are only 10-20$ more than the 450, and from results a 5770 is more powerful than a 450. Not sure though.
m
0
l
September 17, 2010 7:21:33 AM

Oh well we will have to wait and see about the 450, Got till the end of october to decide,lol
m
0
l
September 18, 2010 7:35:32 AM

ati 5770 1gb is the best choice and if u can get the hawk one i think its overclockable than the others
m
0
l
September 20, 2010 7:01:16 AM

Its a tough decision to make guys as i have always used Nvidia,lol, So say i buy this ATI Radeon 5770 how long could i use this card for opposed to and Nvidia GTS450 or GTX 460?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 7:44:27 AM

Well all 3 of them support DX11, so it depends on how long you play those games (which will be a while) and how high you have the settings (obviously).

The 5770 has always been regarded as a very solid, power efficient card.
The GTX 460 is amazing... personally, if I was building a system, I would spend the extra $ for this. Not only for obvious "bang for the buck" performance, but temperatures and power consumption as well. It's very well rounded.
The GTS 450 has had average reviews... it's not bad, nor great. It came out MUCH later than a 5770, yet somehow manages to not surpass it..
m
0
l
September 20, 2010 8:58:22 AM

Ok look up the Asus "GTS450 top" thats the model its 100 and odd MHz faster than the normal GTS450 so in other words sitting at 925 MHz, Right now im in a knot trying to decide which will be my best choice with no regrets,lol, i want to be able to put settings on high for a change and enjoy my games at there full quality.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 4:34:21 PM

Yeah that is a mean OC, and a good card it seems, but you can overclock any card to perform very well... people OC the GTX 460 to GTX 470 territory. The 5770 isn't a slouch either.
m
0
l
October 1, 2010 7:00:13 PM

save for a bit longer, add a bit more and get a HD5830?
m
0
l
October 5, 2010 10:37:12 AM

Well got the GTS 450 no lag in sight real decent card for those with a hole in their pocket,lol
m
0
l
October 8, 2010 11:48:47 PM

how much is the GTS 450?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 9, 2010 4:12:16 AM

go to newegg, or google the prices and find out. Is it really that hard?
m
0
l
October 29, 2010 11:26:56 PM

I would say get the 460 if you have an SLI capable board. SLI performs better than Crossfire, but if you're not looking to do dual-GPU, then it's a toss up between the 4890 and 460. Both are great cards although the 460 has a better memory clock speed and the 4890 only has 133 effective "cores" (the stream processors are in groups of 6's on AMD cards....the 460 has 336 effective cores because each core is independent). The Fermi cores in the GTX 400 series are also champion overclockers, but they can fry eggs, too, so get good case cooling.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2010 3:05:56 AM

dead topic revival fail. Look at the date before you post sir.
m
0
l
!