Intel d975xbx or d975xbx2 ?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Intel
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
July 18, 2009 9:25:39 PM

Hi,

I plan to build a basic business PC, not a gamer or a heavy graphics PC. I plan to install software like MS Office, PaintShop Pro, Dreamweaver, Quicken and that's about it. I want to use the Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 or E6600 chip.

After several days' research, I've come upon two motherboards that I 'm interested in using for my new PC: The Intel d975xbx or d975xbx2. They vary greatly in price: The first goes for about $94, while the second goes for up to $523! Why such a difference?? Is the second one for games?

Thanks, as always,

Roy

More about : intel d975xbx d975xbx2

a c 242 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 18, 2009 9:43:12 PM

The d975xbx2 is more expensive and it's for gamers; the huge price difference is because the site hasn't been updated for a couple years. I presume that you're building from used parts because those motherboards and CPUs are no longer available. Before replying I checked the date of your post to make sure the date wasn't 2006 instead of 2009.
m
l
July 18, 2009 9:52:17 PM

OK. What is the 2009 equivalent of the d975xbx?

I would still like to use the Intel Core 2 Duo chip - or whatever the 2009 equivalent is. (I did build my current PC in 2006, by the way :)  .

Thanks,

Roy
m
l
Related resources
a c 242 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 19, 2009 12:08:04 AM

To start with, you probably don't need Crossfire for an office PC. What video card will you install?

For an office system, I would definitely consider the following motherboards:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
ASUS P5QL PRO
ASUS P5Q SE PLUS

An E5200 or an E7400 are fine for office applications. If you need VT, then go for an E8400 (which is quite a bit faster than an E6600).
m
l
July 21, 2009 7:58:15 PM

Many thanks, GhislainG!

I'm going with the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L mobo and the Intel E5200 chip.

One last question: I'd like to house this all in an ATX mid-tower case. Can you recommend a good one?

Thanks again,

Roy
m
l
a c 242 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 21, 2009 9:24:43 PM

What are your specific requirements? Recommending a case is difficult because you might like side windows and I don't, you might not care about noise, but I do, etc.

An excellent ATX case is the Antec Sonata Plus 550: http://www.antec.comBelieve_it/product.php?id=MjE=

The Antec Sonata III 500 is quite good for its price because it includes a quality PSU, but they are not as quiet as the Sonata Plus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For gamers, the Antec Three Hundred is a good choice, but it doesn't include a PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Newegg also have a version with a 430W PSU)

You can check what's available at Newegg (there's a lot of good cases), read the specs and reviews and then decide on which one you prefer or ask about specific cases you're interested in.
m
l
July 22, 2009 1:48:53 AM

I checked with Newegg and they are offering the Antec Sonata III 500 for a good price. I read a number of reviews that said the latest versions of this case are quiet, so that's what I'm going for. The power source is 500W.

You mentioned the video card. I just need a card for a 22-24" LCD monitor, either Samsung or HP. I won't be doing heavy graphics work, just retouching photos. Most of my work is involved with uploading and downloading photos and text on web sites. I also edit a newsletter with MS Word. I use Excel spreadsheets as well, and I might be using PowerPoint in the future. Other apps are Quicken, Dreamweaver, Nero and Acoustica. No games.

Consequently, I don't need an "extreme" PC, just one with up-to-date robust hardware.

Thanks again,

Roy
m
l

Best solution

a c 242 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 22, 2009 3:20:45 AM

An ATI HD 4670 or a GeForce 9600 GT would meet your requirements.
!