Video Rendering Build

oatmeal12

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I am looking to build a new computer which is mostly used for video rendering. I currently have an old P4 3.2 HT, and it doesn't cut it. The top range of what I want to spend is $1500. I don't need Graphics card, hard drive or optical drive.
I know I can get into core i7 for that price but am I better to spend it on Quad core. Just need suggestions. Plus with i7 what is recommended for wattage or PSU and what speed ot DDR3 ram. Thanks

All Ci7 cpu's are quad cores . They are your best choice for your usage .

Chose an x58 based motherboard based on the features you need . Since you dont need crossfire or sli you will be able to use one of the cheaper models without compromising performance . 6 gig of RAM in a triple channel kit

Even with a quality case [ suggestion : antec p182 for quiet operation ] and a quiet cpu cooler you will come in well under your budgetl

oatmeal12

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Thanks for your answer. Another question then is how big of a difference am I going to see between a quad core Q6600 which I can get a system for $500 and the new i7 more around $1000. THanks

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Read some reviews of i7, they will have benchmarks comparing them to other CPUs. You may also want to look at the Phenom II.

all the core 2 quads seem to scale pretty much clock for clock .
By that I mean a Q6600 at 2.4 GHz is about 25% faster at 3 Ghz

And the i7-920 benchmarks i have seen seem to think its about 20% faster again than the fastest Core2 quad in application benchmarks . You might see close to a 50% speed increase with the i7 over a Q6600

Benchmarks comparing CPU's at
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/benchmarks,31.html