Sign in with
Your question
Closed

H70 temp issues- new install

Last response: in Overclocking
August 30, 2010 4:19:55 AM

I just got finished installing my new H70 along with 2 GT AP-15s. I decided to set the fans up as rear exhaust because I don't have great case air-flow due to poor cable management and the fact that I had to remove one of the 2 top exhaust fans to get the H70 to fit. I hooked the pump up to a CHA_FAN input on the MOBO and connected the 2 GT's to a fan controller. During the install, I had a tough time at first trying to get the pump/cold plate to lock with the retention ring as I didn't realize it helped to raise the ring to make it secure. As a result, I ended up making contact with the CPU several times with the pump/cold plate before it was secure. I didn't lose any TIM but it did get spread around and a little "messy" from the plate/pump being put on and taken off repeatedly.

After 15 min. of Prime 95 my temps were essentially the same as my 212+. HWMonitor reported a max core temp of 60 and max cpu temp of 55. As you can see in the pic below, I have a 955 OC'd to 3.8 @ 1.43 volts. Obviously these temps are warmer than they should be, even with relatively warm ambient temps (High 20s), and I'm hoping/assuming that it was due to the repeated re-seating that occurred during the install. I know that setting up my fans as intake may help the cpu temps a bit, but the rest of my case would suffer especially considering I'd only have 1 exhaust fan (top) to get rid of all that hot air.

If my temps are off due to poor install, should I try again with new TIM (AS5)
or is there another method someone could recommend? Could there be another factor leading to my high temps (I realize my poor cable management doesn't help temps, but it wouldn't be the lone factor for temps this high) or is a bad install the likely culprit?

I use a dual-monitor setup, so I apologize if these screens are awkward or difficult to see.

August 30, 2010 9:55:27 AM

I'd venture to guess that in all the bumping and readjusting of the block on the cpu you've created a void in the thermal paste, You'd be wise to ensure that you are getting equal and adequate down force on the cpu as well, loose mounting screws would cause bad thermal conductivity. If you have the AS5 on hand I dont see any reason why you shouldnt clean her up and give her another go. Keep me updated as to whether or not this creates any significant difference for you.
Score
a c 86 K Overclocking
August 30, 2010 1:49:28 PM

I use MX-2. The 212 is a great cooler with good fans. You kinda crippled your H70 using warm case airflow. Try new TIM, but don't expect great improvements.
Score
Related resources
September 1, 2010 3:45:08 AM

First off, thanks VERY much to everyone so far for posting their input. I know the H70 isn't gonna give me temps even close to a full custom water loop, but I at least expected them to be a bit better than the 212+. I will try re-seating with some AS5 and I may consider trying the fans as intake. The reason I went exhaust to begin with was due to my case air-flow, which probably isn't great due to horrendous cable management. (as you can see in the below pic)
I just don't know what else to do with these cables. If I put any more cables in the space behind the MOBO tray then my case side wont fit on properly and I don't know where else I could hide them in this relatively small case. As always, any ideas and suggestions are sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

(Those who dont like messy cables should avert their eyes...)

Zipzoom- In the first picture I have both HWMonitor and CoreTemp running...they almlost always have the same readings. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Score
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 1, 2010 5:02:44 AM

Buy a new case, it's way to small for your curent setup. SLI And NO case input fans? Goodness please buy at least an Antec 900 V2 or something.

Your case isn't meant to have that kind of stuff inside. Then you can get the fans right. I'm sure your airflow is a joke in there...................
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 1, 2010 6:09:43 PM

^Yeah, you can confirm by leaving the case side off and blowing a house fan into your case during benches. If the temps drop, you obviously have an airflow/case issue.
Score
September 1, 2010 11:50:36 PM

Holy crap that's one crowded case. I thought my antec 300 was cramped with a single nvidia card (now a proud owner of a silverstone ft02) but wow. As others stated, that's way too crowded. You're probably getting very little air flow.
Score
September 17, 2010 3:33:04 AM

So now that the weather has cooled down and ambient temps have decreased, my CPU temps have also dipped (as they should). Ambient temps dropped 4-5 degrees and my system temps dropped accordingly, going from 60 to 55-56 during Prime95. Idle temps have dropped a bit more, going from the upper 30's/low 40's to the low 30's. When gaming, I have yet to go higher than 51-52, so I'm not as eager to compare my current setup (exhaust) vs intake or with new TIM. I do have a few remaining questions, however, that I was hoping I could get some insight on.

-It seems like my temps are about 25-30 degrees above Ambient. Is this on par with how the H70 should perform or would it be worth it to try one of the other methods (new TIM and/or switching to Intake) to get them even lower?

-If I do decide to remount, I have a fresh tube of Thermaltake TG-1 Extreme and some slightly older (2-3 months) AS5 leftover. Which of these two would you recommend I use?

-If I did switch my H70 fans to intake, which would cause the temp inside the case to rise, what is the safe level for my 2 4850s? They're not terribly hot right now (heavy gaming sessions peak at low to mid 70s) but I'm concerned that the extra heat would end up being a bit too much for the 2 cards.

- I'm considering either reaching a 4GHz OC or staying at 3.8, but raising my NB frequency: Which would yield better results in real world applications (gaming, HD Video playback etc..); and would either OC method risk warming my CPU too much (60 degrees +) based on my current setup?

As always, any help is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

This pic is after 15 minutes of Prime95 with ambient temps 4-5 degrees lower than OP:
Score
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 6:32:47 AM

Your NOT pulling cool non case air through the radiator yet?
You want a cool CPU? Nuff said. Reverse all case fans, get faster fans.

You want cool temps on all your parts? Go full on watercooling.
Score
September 22, 2010 4:46:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Conumdrum, I appreciate the insight. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any opinions about the TIM, best OC, and/or any of the other questions from my previous post. Thanks again!
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2010 6:35:59 PM

I agree the H50 & H70 need to be getting cool air from outside the case to perform as well as good air coolers you need to have some exhaust fans somewhere as well though.
Score
September 23, 2010 12:52:39 AM

I'll give switching the fans to intake this weekend, and see what differences result. I used to have 2 exhaust fans at the top of my case but had to get rid of one in order to fit the H70 radiator, so after switching to intake, I'd be down to exhaust fan at the top of the case. I also have 120mm intake fans at the front and side of the case. The top exhaust fan is a CM R4 connected to a Fan Controller. Would that be sufficient enough to get rid of the hot air? I'd love to get a new case (800D, HAF X, etc...) but I'm waiting for prices to drop or a really good deal to pop up. In the meantime I'll just have to work with what I have. Thanks again for the responses.
Score
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2010 6:51:52 AM

I would swap the airflow totally, ie front & top intake, side and front exhaust.
Score

Best solution

September 24, 2010 5:15:57 PM

Swappnig the fans from exhaust to intake wont make much difference and will really heat up the inside of your case. I tried this on mine and only makes a couple degrees cooler on the CPU, but adds 10-15 degrees to the inside of your case.
More importantly, since your SLI setup is already exhausting hot air out, your H70 will pull this very hot air back in.

The temps I see your H70 getting now looks normal and consistent with what I'm getting (also running GT AP-15s) , and other reviews I see.
September 28, 2010 3:29:26 PM

Best answer selected by goodwidp.
Score
April 2, 2012 4:33:10 AM

goodwidp said:
First off, thanks VERY much to everyone so far for posting their input. I know the H70 isn't gonna give me temps even close to a full custom water loop, but I at least expected them to be a bit better than the 212+. I will try re-seating with some AS5 and I may consider trying the fans as intake. The reason I went exhaust to begin with was due to my case air-flow, which probably isn't great due to horrendous cable management. (as you can see in the below pic)
I just don't know what else to do with these cables. If I put any more cables in the space behind the MOBO tray then my case side wont fit on properly and I don't know where else I could hide them in this relatively small case. As always, any ideas and suggestions are sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

(Those who dont like messy cables should avert their eyes...)

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5754/h70install2.jpg

Zipzoom- In the first picture I have both HWMonitor and CoreTemp running...they almlost always have the same readings. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jesus dude your cables being like that is bad that will make it overheat too
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 2, 2012 6:05:46 PM

Thread has been dormant for 1.5 years. Closing necro thread.
Score
!