Gaming Systems for a new builder

robaker3

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I'll be looking to build a new PC specifically for gaming purposes towards the end of the year. My last three computers have been build by friends and I really don't understand what's in the case and why each component may or may not be better than another. I'd like to get started on my research for all the parts but I really don't know where to start.

I feel like I should get to know what's available now and then use that knowledge to keep myself educated as the year goes on but I really don't know. Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!!

Mrbumbum

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

What is your budget?

Does that budget include / exclude a monitor, Operating system, mouse, keyboard, speakers?

What resolution are you gaming at?

Searching forum topics on this site will give you an idea on what people use for certain budget / purposes.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
The good news is you came to the right place. I just finished building my first pc, and everything I needed to know was right here. Take your time reading the articles provided by Tom's. They go into great detail breaking down differences in virtually every part you'll need. The advice I was given on my build was rock solid.

Take the time reading through articles. Read the System Builder Marathon Articles, the quarterly gpu comparison article. Great resources at your disposal. If you're really interested in learning what's going on then that's the way to go. If you just want advice as to what the best "insert random part" is, then the forums can help you there.

by the end of this year the hardware will have changed considerably .

You need to make decisions about the size of monitor you want to use and build a system capable of driving it at playable frame rates . Its all about the resolution .

19 inch widescreen 1400 x 900 = 1 296 000
24 inch widescreen 1920 x 1200 = 2 304 000

So you need nearly twice as much graphical power to drive a 24 inch monitor as you do a 19 inch monitor at the same quality settings .

Make your final hardware decision just before you buy .

In the meantime there are plenty of online tutorials about building a PC . Its actually very easy to do . Everything just plugs in and a few screws later its done .

There are also a few traps to fall in to like static electricity from your hands killing electronic devices .
Easy to avoid when you know how