Your question
Solved

64-bit motherboard/operating system?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Compatibility
Last response: in Motherboards
July 19, 2009 3:55:36 AM

I'm building a high-end system. I know i want want to use 64-bit version of Windows 7, and i was told to check that the motherboard is 64-bit compatible. I've been on the website, and it doesn't say anything about it. Also, what exactly does 64-bit compatibility mean? Here's my system core:
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
CPU: Intel i7 950
GPU: Either 2X GTX 275 or 2X Radeon 4890 (idk yet)
All the rest I'm still researching
Thnx!

BTW, I'm kinda new to all this :) 

More about : bit motherboard operating system

a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2009 4:32:29 AM

with ur config you should be ok, any comfig with an i7 has to be 64 bit. and another way to check is by looking at max RAM. if it is more than 4 gigs then it is 64 bit. if it is 4 gigs or less then it may be 64 bit or 32 bit
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2009 4:38:27 AM

Yes, that hardware is 64bit compatible, and 64bit is the bandwidth of interface your OS uses, I dont really know how to explain this, i am sure someone can do it better. but basically your computer uses address for every element/component of your computer. This is the communication your computer uses through the Bus. In a 32bit system, the BUS is 32bits wide, in 64bit system its 64bits wide meaning the 64bit system can transfer twice the data of a 32bit for every trip of data. Your bus is what connects your RAM to your processor and stuff. And basically its up to your OS to be able to support this extra bandwidth, and since it has more space for more adress, you can put much more ram in it and it has many other benefits. If you want more info I am sure there is stuff on the internet.
May 20, 2011 8:42:17 PM

Check the PCI slots. 64-bit slots have an extra connector towards the front of the machine, so that they connect up all 64 bits of address and data. The connectors are much longer than regular PCI.
You will see three connectors on each slot, rather than the usual 2 that 32-bit slots use.

Of course, you will then want to buy things like 64bit PCI cards to make use of that extra throughput ability.
m
l
!