Sign in with
Your question

Mineral oil or clay?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 30, 2010 9:18:27 AM

I'm planning on making my first attempt at some serious overclocking and maybe even trying to get a 3dmark vantage score on the EVGA Mod Rig top 10. So here's my question, If I'm planning on running a high voltage thermo electric cooling system on cpu and gpu's what would be the best way to insulate the motherboard, cpu, gpu, and sockets to prevent condensation from damaging electrical components? I've been looking at submerging the system in mineral oil. I'm planning on using a liquid cooling system on top of the peltier blocks to dissipate the exhaust heat more efficiently. Someone said I could use non-conductive clay to seal the socket and back side of the cards and mobo as well....any opinions would be helpful.

More about : mineral oil clay

a c 86 K Overclocking
August 30, 2010 1:53:28 PM

Yes. Head over to xtreme systems forums and read the sub forum on subambient cooling. Lots of guides etc.

No one uses pelts anymore...........
a b K Overclocking
August 30, 2010 1:58:31 PM

I've never seen someone use clay before so I'd be leaning towards the oil myself.
Related resources
August 30, 2010 8:41:44 PM

Pelts are tough to run without serious risk to components, it's one of the main reasons I'm asking for guidance....but just as a reference a high voltage peltier is capable of dropping operating temperatures on the die by 140 degrees C. That's a pretty steep temperature drop. And I'll need every bit of it to break 6ghz per core.

As for the Having seen clay done, I've seen both done...however when I saw the clay solution the person was using a liquid nitrogen pot to cool the cpu...here's some links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok <----Mineral Oil Submerged PC

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/924/1/ <-----guide for clay insulation with liquid nitrogen cooling
August 30, 2010 9:05:41 PM

Your rig looks pretty BA. Just sayin'.
September 3, 2010 8:11:51 AM

If you're referring to the ones in the pictures and video neither of those is my rig...however if you're referring to the rig in my signature....thanks =D but she's far from done. My wife intends to play Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO with me when it comes out next year and she'll be inheriting the 465's and my current case (Cooler Master CM690v1). I'll probably be running a P55 instead of an X58 in her setup as she doesn't do stuff as intense to her machine as I do. This one will be getting a new cooling system, GTX 480's, and 4x Corsair Force Series SSD's (F250's) in RAID 0. My goal is to break 6ghz per core in the i7-980x and maybe even get below CAS7 on the ram....not sure what I'm looking at for core,shader, and memory clock speeds on the 480's but I assure you it'll have to be substantial.
September 3, 2010 10:41:54 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can get out off all that kit.
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 6:10:58 PM

Yes, clay will work as an insulator.

HOWEVER, I seriously doubt you will be able to use a TEC to achieve the kind of OC your talking about due to the inherit inefficiency of TEC. Unless you have a big TEC (as in big QMax) you are wasting time, money and imo, not worth the risk. TECs are no longer used partly due to safety. I say grab some DIce,LN2,etc and go for it. Forget TECs. AFAIK, no one has used a TEC for the kind of OC your talking about.
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2010 7:09:18 AM

Conumdrum said:
Yes. Head over to xtreme systems forums and read the sub forum on subambient cooling. Lots of guides etc.

No one uses pelts anymore...........

for some stupid reason, every time i see you avatar " xtreme systems forums" crap will fallow,it's getting old dude..,people can read stickies and can find your beloved XS,so if someone is looking for help on TH you help them ,or get lost my sweet buddy...just step back and try to remember your first WC build :sol: 
September 5, 2010 1:47:35 PM

the oil set up looks crazy. i think i will have to try it when i have a really job.
September 6, 2010 12:15:05 PM

In both cases how long will the hardware last? I mean, the components are designed to operate in oil and while it works now, how long will it continue to run problem free. I'd also think that it would be a ton of work cleaning the system to run in the air after having it inside oil

As for clay, I saw this before, but the in the examples I saw, the clay was put on the entire back of the mobo and around the cpu, in case of condensation
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 3:08:37 PM

ortoklaz said:
for some stupid reason, every time i see you avatar " xtreme systems forums" crap will fallow,it's getting old dude..,people can read stickies and can find your beloved XS,so if someone is looking for help on TH you help them ,or get lost my sweet buddy...just step back and try to remember your first WC build :sol: 

Sure, you type in all the knowledge and info then. It's already there, they just don't know where it is.

Guess you didn't or don't know anything about sub-ambient insulating. :lol: 
!