Sign in with
Your question

Networking b/t Laptop and Desktop = poor internet connectivity

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 21, 2009 4:01:04 AM

I have a windows 7 laptop, and networking with vista desktop. I think that the network is set up correctly via linksys wireless router, but seems to stall or break my internet connection on both the desktop and laptop when both are on. Once laptop is off or disconnected from wireless router, desktop internet connection works perfect. . Any suggestions for an extremely computer illiterate.

Frustrated
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 22, 2009 8:10:44 AM

on each computer go Control Panel, Network Connections, Wireless Connection, Properties, TCP/IP and check that obtain IP address and DNS automatically are both ticked.

Alternatively, if you have previously used one of the computers with Windows Internet Connection Sharing make sure ICS is no longer enabled.
m
l
November 22, 2009 9:55:48 PM

Tried this the other day, still did not work. Tried again after your post, but looking closer, the IPv6 connectivity for the desktop is limited, and the laptop: none. I don't have to have these networked, but really want to be able to use the router for wireless for laptop, which is what I thought I was doing originally. Or how to I increase the connectivity? BTW the ICS is disabled for both also. Please and thank you.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 23, 2009 2:45:21 AM

Turn off IPv6.
m
l
November 30, 2009 12:12:42 AM

Still doesn't work. Reset my router, reconnected the network...still no luck, Struggglin.
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2009 6:05:47 AM

Make sure that the two computers have different IP addresses -- one may be on a fixed address -- or may have been used for Windows Internet Connection Sharing -- which must be disabled.
m
l
!