Frequent problems with my 16GB Cruzer

kahlil88

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I bought a 16GB Cruzer Micro about a year ago that frequently craps out on me in one way or another. To start with, I get terrible write speeds with Linux. Usually starts at around 8MB/s and gradually slows down, sometimes to less than 1KB/s. I also occasionally get I/O errors when copying data onto it and then it umounts and becomes read-only until I run a disk check from Windows. This happens once or twice a month, and I never ran into such a problem with any other flash drive. The other night, I got some I/O errors when trying to copy data off of it, and since I didn't have access to a Windows machine, I just ran a disk check from GParted and hoped for the best. Plugged it in at work this morning and BAM, all of my data gone! I ran a disk check and now I have 8GB of *.CHK files, which I'm slowly processing with UnChk to correct the file extensions. I'm almost afraid to use this thing ever again because it keeps having problems. Sorry for such a long rant, but does anyone have advice?