htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Hello there,

I have core i7 920 stable ( using intel burn test and prime test) at 3.8g. I have turbo mode on but without HT. But, when i turn on ht, it boots to windows, but fails the stress test in a minute. i increase vcore and qpi voltage, but it does not help. i will turn off turbo mode and turn on ht when i get home and run the test again. I do not know it will work.

My question is

do you guys know review sites that compare i7 performance with or without ht option. If the performance difference is not much, i do not need to do the testing again. i would stick to what i have. it is time consuming.

Thanks.

I've never had much success with Turbo on, it REALLY heats things up. I turned it off and got lower temps and stable with a higher voltage and BLK.

Hyperthreading is a great feature on the i7. I'd personally rather have HT on and a lower clock than HT off and a few extra MHz.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

biot3ch

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Seems to me hyperthreading boosts benchmarks and real-world multitasking applications, but it actually reduces gaming performance. If you're a gamer, I'm inclined to suggest turning it off (with the additional bonus of lower core temps).