Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help picking FAST 24X DVD Burner...

Last response: in Storage
August 25, 2010 1:11:04 AM

I need a 24 X(Or Higher?) DVD Burner that is SATA and do not care about Lightscribe.

XX I Currently have this model in the link
XX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
XX It's a "SAMSUNG DVD Burner Model TS-H653N' 20X and it's slow and sucks suck sucks. SLOW! PAIN

My main goal is fast/speed, I need to burn disc's in the 3-5 minute range[or faster?]
99.9% of my burning will be for backing up images, videos and such, speed is my goal/desire.

My budget is $25 Pre-Shipping/Pre-Sales Taxes

Also, I tried Sony Optiarc drive and it was buggy and I had nothing but misery from that DVD Burner.

So could someone throw me a bone and suggest a DVD 24X Burner?
p.s. Or a website that does a good job of benchmarking and ranking best DVD Burners

Thanks folks
a b G Storage
August 25, 2010 8:58:33 AM

I haven't seen DVDs that top out above x16, so beyond that it doesn't matter.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2010 2:32:28 PM

Yeah,like aford10 said,there are no 24x dvds on the market that I know of and boy i buy a lot of blank dvds,but if you burn a dvd at 16x it should not take anymore than 5 minutes.......or 15 or 20 minutes for dual-layer dvd at max 8x....... btw,I recommend a plextor burner for reliability and performance,but you wont get a plextor for 25.00$......
m
l
August 25, 2010 5:10:52 PM

People, not dvd's but DVD Burners, the drives...

www.newegg.com is selling dozens and dozens of 24X Drives...

Even my SUBJECT says Burner.
m
l
August 25, 2010 5:42:52 PM

well yeah,thats understood........but the point is you cant burn a dvd at 24x,because the dvd's you buy at retail are only rated at 16x,so the 24x is a moot point........................in other words the fastest your going to burn a single-layer dvd is 16x........until 24x media hits the market
m
l
a b G Storage
August 25, 2010 6:51:43 PM

teaser said:
well yeah,thats understood........but the point is you cant burn a dvd at 24x,because the dvd's you buy at retail are only rated at 16x,so the 24x is a moot point........................in other words the fastest your going to burn a single-layer dvd is 16x........until 24x media hits the market

^ Exactly!
m
l
August 25, 2010 7:39:40 PM

aford10 said:
^ Exactly!

Again, I understand 16X is pretty much the max speed of a DVD Disc but I was asking for help with "Fastest 24X DVD Burner" and this turned into something else.

I own a 20X DVD Burner and the 16x max speed of a Disc was never an issue even with customer reviews on www.newegg.com website.

In fact this 16X is max speed is the first time I've seen this mentioned or debated.

I guess this forum is not for me. All is left is nitpicking etc.

m
l
August 25, 2010 7:52:54 PM

Look,it comes down to Milliseconds read/write time difference between various drives.....what you should be looking for in a dvd drive is reliability and quality burn,plus it depends on your burning software you use also...some are better than others
m
l
a b G Storage
August 25, 2010 7:54:34 PM

We were merely trying to point out that, the drive can't burn any faster than the disc is capable of. It's the answer to your question. One 24x burner isn't going to be any faster than another 24x burner, because they are held back by the disc capability. Once you have a burner that can max out the disc burn speed, the rest of the hardware is what will make it burn faster or slower.

It's not nitpicking. It's simply trying to help you realize what you're getting.
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:32:39 PM

aford10 said:
We were merely trying to point out that, the drive can't burn any faster than the disc is capable of. It's the answer to your question. One 24x burner isn't going to be any faster than another 24x burner, because they are held back by the disc capability. Once you have a burner that can max out the disc burn speed, the rest of the hardware is what will make it burn faster or slower.

It's not nitpicking. It's simply trying to help you realize what you're getting.

No seriously I do understand the point but all I was asking for was perhaps some benchmarks or reviews that were done on 24X Burners.
It's pointless, as a new DVD Burner purchase, to buy anything slower than 24X since the no longer produced 20x and 22x drives are the same price as the 24x drives.
Plus some of the 24X drives are faster in read/write/play with CD's and DVD so it's not just speed for burning that was my consideration.

I forgive anyone here with apologies needed and promise to drop this spat and continue on with my reviews and benchmarking request.
And I ask forgiveness :love:  for anything I didn't make clear or took too personal.

It's water under the bridge with me folks. :bounce: 

Good Day. :hello: 
m
l
a b G Storage
August 26, 2010 7:19:07 AM

I'm surprised the samsung isnt working out for you. I have two of them, two different models, and they both are responsive and eject/load quickly. Perform well too.

Also, all those speed differences between the 16x 20x 22x, as far as read and write speed goes, apply to the outside edge of the disc. The inside sections of disc when read are much slower.
m
l
August 26, 2010 7:58:12 PM

festerovic said:
I'm surprised the samsung isnt working out for you. I have two of them, two different models, and they both are responsive and eject/load quickly. Perform well too.

Also, all those speed differences between the 16x 20x 22x, as far as read and write speed goes, apply to the outside edge of the disc. The inside sections of disc when read are much slower.

I smoke a lot of cigarettes in this room and I'm fairly certain that the laser or the glass or plastic covering has a nice thick coating of either tar or nicotine or both, that was literally my number 1 reason to look into 24x replacement drives..

20x-22x-24x all cost around the $16-$25 range so I was just asking for some models that were new , 24x, and rated as fast burners since this is in essance a replacement drive.

Why spend $19 for a 20x or 22x when I can spend $20.99 for a newer 24X is what I am saying.

p.s. Of course not Sony Optiarc models, I hate hate hate those...Allergy I guess..

m
l
a b G Storage
August 26, 2010 8:48:23 PM

LG makes good drives too. For the money. Just get the brand you like. I used to like liteon, but they have absolutely horrendous customer support after one of my drives (like the 10th liteone drive I got) died in 2 months. So no more liteon for me. You are right sony optiarc is garbage.

All these drives 16x and above, will have almost the exact same performance. Reading and copying, not burning. Really, the only things to look for are good firmware and responsive controls.
m
l
August 26, 2010 10:37:43 PM

festerovic said:
LG makes good drives too. For the money. Just get the brand you like. I used to like liteon, but they have absolutely horrendous customer support after one of my drives (like the 10th liteone drive I got) died in 2 months. So no more liteon for me. You are right sony optiarc is garbage.

All these drives 16x and above, will have almost the exact same performance. Reading and copying, not burning. Really, the only things to look for are good firmware and responsive controls.

Umm, could you recommend a few 24X DVD Burners that caught your eyes recently?

Or do you know a website that's popular that benchmarks and ranks 24x burners?

p.s. Sony Optiarc's, I'll never buy or try another because I went through 4 drives, each riddled with problems, guess I'm unlucky with Optiarc's..
m
l
a b G Storage
August 27, 2010 3:39:55 AM

festerovic said:

I've used several Optiarcs in the past, and have had very good luck with them. You'll find this kind of variance with most all users. Most DVD drives either work, or don't. The brand doesn't make that much difference. Many users swear by Pioneer drives, but I've had terrible luck with them.

And there is a difference in the way some drives read vs other drives. I've got an LG Securdisc that will read discs that none of my other drives will.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 27, 2010 3:45:19 AM
August 27, 2010 6:57:50 PM

aford10 said:
..... I've got an LG Securdisc that will read discs that none of my other drives will.

I couldn't find one of those SecureDisc's for sale on NewEgg or anywhere else??

Give me model # please and thanks./
m
l
August 27, 2010 7:18:47 PM

Best answer selected by weatherphobia.
m
l
August 27, 2010 7:21:02 PM

aford10 said:
If I was going to buy a new DVD drive, I'd go with one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PICKED ONE!

Tons of reviews, helps get rid of spammers and trolls, makes average rating more accurate than ones with 2-99 reviews.

The price was just fantastic at $22.99

I hope the "ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS" works out for me....

Thanks to ALL for help and criticism that was constructive in nature.
m
l
!