barthautala

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Ive got an old crappy computer that had an ATI X600 Pro. A pal gave me his 7900GT to plug in its place.

Now after about 30 seconds of playing CoD4 the game locks up - but if I open up the task manager and close the game comes back to life for another 30 seconds or so. This cycle never ends.

Ive got the latest Nvidia driver installed. I do sometimes see funny shaded pixels. I have not over clocked the card myself. Is this an idicator of a bad card thats been beat on or something else?

I open to all suggestions - even if I have to blow up the card - since it was free anyways.

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Sounds like a driver conflict but could also be heat related or power supply. Did you use a driver cleaner before installing the new drivers? How about a fresh install of Windows. How about +12v rail amperage? I as I remember the 7900GT requires a mimimum of 20a on the +12v rail.

Edit: If you haven't done so use Rivatuner to increase your fan speed and see if that solves the problem. Download GPU-Z and record your temps while playing.

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
does that new video card need external power supplied to it? check and see if it has a plug on the end of the card for power

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
If what sontan said doesn't work ask your friend if he has had the same issues.
The 7 series cards were notorious for bad ram chips and artifacts.

Try some other games to see if the problems show up too, CoD4 might be a little rough for that card.