Vista Ultimate x64 RAM maxed at 2GB

Selfar

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hi! I have a problem with my Vista Ultimate x64, it will only allow me to have a Memory Maximum in MSCONFIG of 2048.
I recently tried to upgrade my RAM and to no avail.
There is no way to raise it, it seems.
Every time I try to raise it it changes back once I do, and I know x64 supports 16GB of RAM, and so does my Motherboard. I've looked everywhere and my Motherboard's North Bridge, AMD 690G, supports 2GB in Vista x64 until MSCONFIG is changed. Problem is mine won't.

My System:
Motherboard: GA-MA69GM-S2H
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2.4GHz Dual Core
Old RAM: OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400
New RAM: OCZ Gold 2x2GB DDR 800 PC2 6400

If you need anymore information let me know.

Please and thanks!
Selfar

Selfar

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

People online have been saying that the AMD 960G Northbridge doesn't allow Vista x64 to read more than 2GB of RAM. Someone said an easy fix was to change the MSCONFIG, I couldn't. So it's most likely my Chipset, another problem is there is no way to access my Chipset Settings from my BIOS, which makes no sense to me.

Selfar

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Yes i know, that's why it's a problem my computer is only using 2GB when I have 4GB in my computer.

flabbergasted

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Maybe there's a problem with your ram combo? You're mixing ocz gold with platinum. Try using all gold or all platinum. I'm using 6 gigs of kingston ram, 2 x 1gb and 2 x 2gb. They were of the same product family. No problems whatsoever.

Selfar

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
@messerchmidt

I recently Flashed my BIOS to F6, that's the newest on Gigabyte's website, no help.

@flabbergasted

I completely replaced the old Platinum with the Gold, they are completely out of my computer. There still shouldn't be an issue.

--------------------------------------

I decided to reformat because my computer wouldn't recognize the RAM and it was going slower ever since I tried to upgrade. I reformatted with both 2GB RAM chips in, a total of 4GB of RAM, I'm not mixing chips. And a similar problem happened, Vista only recognizes it was 3.25GB of RAM.