Sign in with
Your question

Overclock Dell XPS 420?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 1, 2010 11:52:25 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a the following computer and wanted to know which elements I can overclock to get more out of it:-

Dell XPS 420
Quad Core 2.4Ghz Processor
4GB RAM (stock RAM)
2 x 600GB RAID 0 Drives
MSI ATI Radeon HAWK (I have just purchased this as my 8800GT stopped working)

I mainly use Flight Simulator X and am looking at getting better FPS. I know the new graphics card I purchased is overclockable, it won't make a big difference to FSX as its CPU bound and not GPU, therefore without purchasing additional kit is there anything I can do with the CPU to get it up to 3.0Ghz?

Also, If I was to have a budget what should I upgrade first to get the best out FSX?

Thanks
Mark

More about : overclock dell xps 420

a b K Overclocking
September 1, 2010 12:11:34 PM

Dell normally lock overclocking options in the bios so have a look and see if you can change the CPU frequency & voltage.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2010 11:29:13 PM

Don't do it, not the worth the risk, specially since you actually have a decent CPU, I.E the Q6600. All standard companies like HP, Dell, Gateway, etc, etc. Usually they lock there bios for OCing. :p  Just why you should build your own build :D  Anywhoo, just OC your GPU, thats really all you can do.
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 8:43:42 PM

Its not worth it, you wont see any real gains. I have a 400 and a 410 and have tried OC'ing via clockgen and CrystalCPUID and its a no show. You are better off buying a board that can use the current ram you have and ditching the OEM baord. Its a bit of a hassle but I did it and have no regrets, DELL OEM boards are junk.
September 3, 2010 8:48:20 PM

I'm not in a position to buy another board but do want a bit more out of my Dell.

Does it make it unstable? Why wouldn't you advise doing it?

a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 8:56:38 PM

Because once you start raising the voltage the board becomes finicky, im not speaking for all Dell OEM boards just my personal experience. I got an extra 200mhz and my temps jumped up by 10c, you can go ahead and try it yourself.
September 3, 2010 9:05:03 PM

If I was use SetFSB to increase my FSB speed how would I revert it back should there be issues?

Also, do you have to run this each time windows starts or is the over clock retained after restarting ?

Sorry, noob around this topic.
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2010 9:06:41 PM

You would use the same program to set it back to its previous state, and no once it is set you do not have to re-set it every time you boot.
September 3, 2010 9:18:15 PM

So when I run setfsb I make a note of the current slider setting and move it up say in 10 increments?

I've got a stress test tool to test with it that max's out the CPU

What temp should the cores never go over?
September 3, 2010 9:22:37 PM

Which slider to I alter in setfsb, top or bottom? Do I then click setfsb

The thread i refer to earlier also has a tool called Rightmark CPU.. Do I need this?
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 1:15:34 PM

OvrClkr said:
Its not worth it, you wont see any real gains. I have a 400 and a 410 and have tried OC'ing via clockgen and CrystalCPUID and its a no show. You are better off buying a board that can use the current ram you have and ditching the OEM baord. Its a bit of a hassle but I did it and have no regrets, DELL OEM boards are junk.

I managed to get +400 mhz on my 410 using Clockgen ( 2.13 to 2.5?, been to long to remember ), a noticeable difference.
If he ditches the board, he'll have to ditch the BTX case as well.............. you knew that :) 
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 7:12:14 PM

delluser1 said:
I managed to get +400 mhz on my 410 using Clockgen ( 2.13 to 2.5?, been to long to remember ), a noticeable difference.
If he ditches the board, he'll have to ditch the BTX case as well.............. you knew that :) 

yes, I was under the impression that the OP was going with another case as well. I had a 410, was in the same situation as the OP and went ahead and bought a mobo/new case and recycled whatever I could from the 410. It's a rather awful investment when it comes to Dell PC's.
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 7:17:11 PM

OvrClkr said:
I had a 410, was in the same situation as the OP and went ahead and bought a mobo/new case and recycled whatever I could from the 410. It's a rather awful investment when it comes to Dell PC's.

Yep, did the same.
Didn't think the 410 was a bad investment, got it thru the Outlet ( 1/2 a dozen of them actually ) for cheap, it just couldn't do what I wanted it to do ( overclock like a beast ).
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 7:43:24 PM

delluser1 said:
Yep, did the same.
Didn't think the 410 was a bad investment, got it thru the Outlet ( 1/2 a dozen of them actually ) for cheap, it just couldn't do what I wanted it to do ( overclock like a beast ).

I also got mines for cheap also but the upgrade path is horrible, it's like you can use it for a year or two and then you have to trash it..
a b K Overclocking
September 4, 2010 8:03:57 PM

OvrClkr said:
it's like you can use it for a year or two and then you have to trash it..

I agree
October 28, 2010 11:23:25 AM

I've OC my XPS 420 to 3.0GHZ using the tape mod on the Q660
!