PC is boot cycling after combofix

Peskoly

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I ran combo fix last night in safe mode and after the scan it automatically restarted my computer but now its just cycling. It ran it in safe mode, made sure all av software was disabled even though combo fix told me things were still running. Also I flashed my razer launchesis firmware right before the scan I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I haven't really messed with anything yet I figured I should come here first because I know combofix is a pretty strong tool. Thanks for any and all help!

well, at least it's not "lunchesis"... could be worse

if you think the mouse is the cause, disconnect the mouse and try booting without it. I doubt that's the reason.

Can you still get to the boot menu? if yes try restarting with command prompt, see if you can find combofix log and read what it changed etc.

if you cannot, I'd suggest trying to repair the windows install with the recovery CD. After that you'd be able to at least boot I think.

At this point it's hard to say what's caused this, because we don't know what combofix has changed/removed.

If after windows repair there's some latent problems try the system restore, combofix should have created a restore point before its scan.

oh so you can get to desktop, I suggest you check that your automatic restart at critical error is disabled, if you're getting a BSOD you want to see what it says, not simply reboot.

also check the event viewer for any logged system errors

lastly see if you can do a system restore

and definitely look through that log, I mean, combofix might have fixed something that was infected, but that's just deleting the file, it doesn't repair it in any way, so you might be missing some delayed start service for windows, which causes windows to force reboot.