Sign in with
Your question

Not booting, no power to MB

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2009 3:39:45 AM

I think I know the problem but I'm curious to the cause and if other parts may be damaged.
At first, I hit the power button and the fans all kicked in then the system shutdown after a few seconds. The monitor never displayed anything. This happened twice then nothing. On the third try there aren't even any LEDs lit up internally. I verified that all cables and cards are securely plugged in. From this point on, not even an LED will light up in the system. I plugged the PS into another MB I have. I didn't have a video card for it so I couldn't try to boot but the LEDs on the MB lit up immediately and the case switch started up the PS and the fans.

So I assume that my 4 month old Gigabyte EP45-UD3R is shot. I was overclocking but very modestly. The voltage was barely increased and the temperature was always kept at or below normal levels.

I'm far from an expert. Am I correct in my assumption first off? And second, what could cause this and could anything else be damaged?

More about : booting power

July 21, 2009 1:19:42 PM

It took me to a dead end. I got to the point where it asks if the hard drives spin up and of course that doesn't happen since the motherboard isn't getting power.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2009 3:15:39 PM

This is a long shot but easy to check - going in order -have you confirmed you are gettng power to the PSU? Is PSU fan working?
If not -
Is a circuit breaker tripped in electrical system?
Did you Confirm power to the socket?
Do you have a power saver or UPS? Is it on and working?
Is PSU switch in back turned on?
Do you have a variable power level (110v vs 220v) selector or is it automatic?
If manual, has correct selection been made?

(This is really what they call thinking outside the box)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2009 3:33:41 PM

If you are getting power to PSU but no further - then it seems to me the quickest troubleshooting option is to go back to start. Other then PSU and CPU (with heatsink/fan off course), disconnect all drives and other devices connected to mobo and remove all but one stick of RAM. Try to boot.

If it does - continue as you when you built system - starting with adding back rest of RAM and running memtest.
If not, test for mobo short to case - take mobo out of case and set on counter (ideally on insulated pad of some type) and try to boot again.
m
l
July 21, 2009 3:47:18 PM

I'm at work, so I can't try your suggestions yet but I'll tell you that I tested the PSU by jumpering the green/black wires on the motherboard cable and it starts right up. The status LEDs on the motherboard don't even light up when its plugged in. I doubt it's a short since the PC had not been moved since it last worked. I'll still try these suggestions when I get home.
m
l
July 28, 2009 6:10:45 PM

I tried it all and I get no power, not a single LED or fan comes on anywhere. I went ahead and ordered a new mobo. This should solve my problem unless additional hardware is damaged. That's been one of my biggest concerns.
m
l
!