Not booting, no power to MB

singularity2030

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I think I know the problem but I'm curious to the cause and if other parts may be damaged.
At first, I hit the power button and the fans all kicked in then the system shutdown after a few seconds. The monitor never displayed anything. This happened twice then nothing. On the third try there aren't even any LEDs lit up internally. I verified that all cables and cards are securely plugged in. From this point on, not even an LED will light up in the system. I plugged the PS into another MB I have. I didn't have a video card for it so I couldn't try to boot but the LEDs on the MB lit up immediately and the case switch started up the PS and the fans.

So I assume that my 4 month old Gigabyte EP45-UD3R is shot. I was overclocking but very modestly. The voltage was barely increased and the temperature was always kept at or below normal levels.

I'm far from an expert. Am I correct in my assumption first off? And second, what could cause this and could anything else be damaged?

rockyjohn

Distinguished
This is a long shot but easy to check - going in order -have you confirmed you are gettng power to the PSU? Is PSU fan working?
If not -
Is a circuit breaker tripped in electrical system?
Did you Confirm power to the socket?
Do you have a power saver or UPS? Is it on and working?
Is PSU switch in back turned on?
Do you have a variable power level (110v vs 220v) selector or is it automatic?
If manual, has correct selection been made?

(This is really what they call thinking outside the box)

rockyjohn

Distinguished
If you are getting power to PSU but no further - then it seems to me the quickest troubleshooting option is to go back to start. Other then PSU and CPU (with heatsink/fan off course), disconnect all drives and other devices connected to mobo and remove all but one stick of RAM. Try to boot.

If it does - continue as you when you built system - starting with adding back rest of RAM and running memtest.
If not, test for mobo short to case - take mobo out of case and set on counter (ideally on insulated pad of some type) and try to boot again.

singularity2030

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I'm at work, so I can't try your suggestions yet but I'll tell you that I tested the PSU by jumpering the green/black wires on the motherboard cable and it starts right up. The status LEDs on the motherboard don't even light up when its plugged in. I doubt it's a short since the PC had not been moved since it last worked. I'll still try these suggestions when I get home.

singularity2030

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I tried it all and I get no power, not a single LED or fan comes on anywhere. I went ahead and ordered a new mobo. This should solve my problem unless additional hardware is damaged. That's been one of my biggest concerns.

TRENDING THREADS