Sign in with
Your question

How to read external hard drive windows 3 1

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 25, 2010 5:57:41 PM

Hello,

I am trying to move some files of of an old ide hard drive. I have an external hard drive reader. The hard drive is vintage 1995 and is running windows 3.11. When I put it my reader the hard drive spins and the device manager shows it as a mass usb storage device but doesn't assign it a drive letter. Any ideas. Thanks
a b G Storage
August 25, 2010 6:04:11 PM

A drive that old won't support LBA (the addressing method used in most if not all USB adapters), the only way would be to connect it to a spare PATA connector, even then it would need to be a fairly old MotherBoard to recognise the drive.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 25, 2010 6:15:58 PM

I have two towers that I can use ide drives with. The one that has the windows 3.11 just has a floppy drive. The other tower is newer and runs 98 I believe. Could I use the 3.11 hard drive as a slave and install it in the 98 tower and move the files to the 98 hard drive then use my external reader? I know I have to move the jumpers on the hard drive to make it a slave I just have never done it before. Thanks
m
l
a c 117 G Storage
August 25, 2010 9:09:15 PM

Quote:
I have two towers that I can use ide drives with. The one that has the windows 3.11 just has a floppy drive. The other tower is newer and runs 98 I believe. Could I use the 3.11 hard drive as a slave and install it in the 98 tower and move the files to the 98 hard drive then use my external reader? I know I have to move the jumpers on the hard drive to make it a slave I just have never done it before. Thanks

You can do that but you are doing an extra step. Buy an external enclosure for your old drive, and get the files off of that. Go to www.newegg.com and search for an external drive enclosure that had an IDE internal connector, should be tons to pick from, and many you can get for $20 or less.
m
l
Related resources
!