First build; need to install patch; don't know how

liquidsense

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
This last weekend, I built my first computer starting with a Shuttle G31 barebones, with an Intel Yorkfield Q9550, Western Digital 640GB Black Caviar, 2x2GB G.Skill, and a Linksys wireless adapter.

I noticed that I was having serious USB issues with the 6 USB ports on the Shuttle -- some work, some do not, some worked then stopped. I was poking around the Shuttle website and found a FAQ that seemed to hit the issue right on the head.

See http://global.shuttle.com/support_faq_detail.jsp?PI=646&PFI=1380

The FAQ is titled: "Why all the USB devices become disable after restart from Intel chipset driver installation." It instructs that I am to "apply this patch before install Intel chipset driver."

My concern is that I installed the chipset drivers -- using the CD that Shuttle supplied -- first thing after I installed XP Pro. How should I go about installing this patch when I've already installed the chipset driver? I am 100% newb when it comes to all this, so frankly, I'm not even sure how to manipulate chipset drivers in the first place (all I really know is how to go to the device manager to update basic drivers). Would I uninstall the chipset driver, then install the patch, then reinstall the chipset drivers? Where do I go to do that?

Any guidance would greatly appreciate it.

Try installing the patch, then the Intel drivers. Then after the installation, check the device manager in the control panel under "system". If all the drivers are installed, you'll see no marks next to any of them. Yellow or red means the device didn't install properly.

liquidsense

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Yes. I completely updated XP with all updates and service packs. But, I still had intermittent issues with USB ports. Currently, I have a 1-->4 USB 2.0 splitter in one USB port to connect my four components, because the other USB ports were either not working or acting wonky.

When I get home, I'll do what o1die suggested by simply installing the patch, then re-installing the chipset drivers. This should be fine, even though I have previously installed the chipset drivers, right?

Where exactly in the device manager is the icon for the chipsets? Is there such a thing? There seems to be an icon for the HDD, optical, USBs, network card, etc, etc, but is there an actual icon where I would manually update chipset drivers? -- just curious. I know I can download the chipset drivers from Shuttle.com.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If you split your internal USB connectors, i mean quad'd them, maybe your devices are pulling too much power through USB. What devices do you have attached?
Shyt, i'm guessing you meant you did externally as that was the only port that still works?
I'd do what Oldie recommended and try the patch before you uninstall. if that doesn't work, uninstall them both and start from the beginning :)

liquidsense

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I first uninstalled the chipset drivers, then tried installing the patch and was notified that the patch was superseded by a recent XP update. I reinstalled the chipset drivers with the latest from Shuttle's website, and the USB ports now seem to be working just fine.

So... solved!

What do I do to mark this thread as "solved"?